Sunday, July 22, 2007

RE: [papercreters] Permits, etc

Thanks Howard, that was my basic strategy. It's my natural style anyway so why not? I'll keep your email and read it occasionally for moral support.


To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: owly@ttc-cmc.net
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:11:11 -0600
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Permits, etc

Judith:
I have been "caught" more than once by building code people...... I
absolutely refuse to function within the system unless it cannot be
avoided, but once you get "caught" you have to change strategy. First
rule to remember is know the guy / or gal..... always remember their
name, make a bit of small talk and don't forget that daughter that's
having a baby, or the new car they just bought, or.... never forget the
details. Treat them as a friend as much as possible, bend.... don't
resist, bend with the winds. Do not fight them or be a problem unless
they are intractably obstructionist, and outside the legal limits of
their supposed authority. flatter them, tap them for their expertise,
and their resources, suck them in, stimulate their interest in your
project.... and of the opposite gender throw in a little very subtle
aura of personal interest. Make them feel knowledgeable, important and
attractive... pay attention to how they react to things, and what they
say, learn their attitudes and prejudices, and frame things to fit
within those. Cultivate the one individual shamelessly using every
resource of charm and manipulation you have available. NEVER defy,
argue or obstruct..... make them look forward to visiting you, and turn
them into an ally.
It isn't easy to do this, and often goes against the grain......
Personally I am deeply resentful that some government agency thinks they
have authority over me in this area. I regard the building codes
department as a highly developed program of extortion operating within
the government and masquerading as a "service"..... but I would never
communicate that thought to one of these people. They are the
enforcers and "bagmen" for a protection racket that is little different
in nature from those the mafia runs. They will drive up your costs,
force contractors into the picture, permits, etc. Drive you into the
arms of a herd of bankers and finance companies..... force you into the
system. That's what they are there for........ You can't beat them, and
you can't "join" them, but you can induce them to "join you".
Neighbor visits, and contractors blowing the whistle are the two most
common ways people are caught. Here I am in a very rural setting where
nobody gets permits except for residential construction, the assessor
will know about my project almost as soon as I begin...... he's a friend
of mine (many years). He will assess, visit, be intrigued, etc... but
he is not directly connected to the codes folks.

Turn on the charm...... manipulate, manipulate..... charm, and
manipulate some more.... these folks are human and can be "had".

Howard

JUDITH WILLIAMS wrote:
> As many of you know I went into my project without getting a permit. There were several contributing factors to this. For one thing I never expected it to grow into such a big thing and didn't have any plans drawn up. Also working with no money and a bunch of other stuff. Anyway, a few weeks ago a neighbor called for an inspection of his foundationa and I got shut down. At first I freaked out and didn't know what to do. I've done nothing but work at my job and then on this house for almost 3 years with no time off. All of a sudden I had what seemed to me like nothing to do. Well anyway, to make a long story short, I'm over the shock and rather enjoying some time off. I still don't know how to procede. I've called the inspector but he hasn't gotten back to me so I guess I'll call for an inspection to see where I stand and what I can do the get it up to permit standards. I still don't have the money it will take to get and architect and engineer but as it has always happened
with me the universe is aware and is providing what I need. I went to a little bbq last night and the folks there suggested I have a benefit at my place accepting donations. They have a band which is very good and said they would love to perform for free. So I'm thinking about doing that and also have been offered a weekend job that pays very well. So, my advice to all who are concerned and are planning to build a house with papercrete is to see about getting a permit but don't let that stop you. I love my house as it's coming along. I know it will get finished and will be beautiful. Just wanted to keep you all informed. I've received so much encouragement and wonderful advice form this group. Thanks to all of you. I'll let you know about the party so you can come if you want.
> __________________________________________________________
> Missed the show? Watch videos of the Live Earth Concert on MSN.
> http://liveearth.msn.com




Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one place! Find it! __._,_.___


SPONSORED LINKS
Home repair improvement Papercrete Uniform building code
1997 uniform building code Uniform building code online

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___