Wednesday, July 25, 2007

RE: [papercreters] modular block

I'm wondering why you want to form the block to contain conduit etc when the dry blocks are so easy to cut through with a chainsaw or sawzall. I make my blocks by the "brownie" method. I pour into a form 30" x 12' and cut them wioth a lawn edger when they are still wet but set up enough to hold their shape. I lay them up like bricks but make the mortar with slightly more paper and leave out the pumice, or sand in your case. I find this rather simple. I have cut the blocks with the sawzall with a long deeply serrated blade. You're not crazy. Hey if you are crazy then that means I'm crazy too and we can't have that! Judith


To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: mdmiller1@gmail.com
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 23:13:52 +0000
Subject: [papercreters] modular block

I completed a test pour of a modular papercrete block that would be
laid up with standard coursing, could contain elec conduit and
rebar..... it was time consumming. I built the form out of plywood,
coated it very heavily with sealer, and it probably won't be able to be
used again due to warpage.

Here's some pics: http://www.domovitae.com/fcrete/

I experienced quite a bit of shrinkage vertically. In rough numbers
about 10%, and the mix was very stiff and contained quite a bit of sand
and portland. Total dry mix weight including portland, paper, sand,
etc... was about 9.5 pounds. Block size 8"x8"x16"

Its a little clunky I had a few gaps in the pour, but generally I'm
satisfied with the end result.

Welcome comments.... or tell me I'm crazy...... Duane




See what you're getting into…before you go there. Check it out! __._,_.___


SPONSORED LINKS
Home repair improvement Papercrete Uniform building code
1997 uniform building code Uniform building code online

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___