Wednesday, July 18, 2007

[papercreters] Re: Papercrete as rigid insulation?

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Greg House <ghunicycle@...>
wrote:
>
> Since papercrete has some insulating value, do you think it'd be
> effective to use in place of rigid foam type insulation? Perhaps a
> a paper-rich mix to save weight and cost?

I place to put it in the walls of the wood frame portion of my
house, long term. Specifically, the garage, where I had to jack the
roof and rebuild a wall after the previous owner found and hid
termite damage in that wall. Wish I had known about PC back then,
but it will get done one of these days.

I will also be using a thick layer of low cement borax supplemented
stucco (brown / scratch coat) on the front of my house with a higher
cement finish coat. All of that, once I can build some other stuff
and convince the wife that PC can look like anything I want, not
just grey goo. heheh

> If so, any ideas on how well it'd insulate? Would it be resistant
> to insects/vermin?

SG answered this for you, but I will second his suppositions that
Borax, lime or other ingredients would be important to deter
insects / vermin. And that the higher values would probably best be
achieved by simply increasing the thickness of the layer. More
economical, I suspect as well.

- Ernie


Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/