Monday, July 9, 2007

[papercreters] Re: New to Group

Hi James,

Welcome to the group.


I encourage you to check out this previous post and other messages in
the thread:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/message/2179
Scroll all the way to the bottom of the message to see other messges
in the thread.

While you're likely already aware of many factors discussed there,
some of the discussion applies to your situation and may be helpful.
Reminders on things you already know can't hurt either.

Perhaps Ken from WI will give us an update on his progress. The two
of you are undertaking a similar project.

Hope this helps

slurryguy

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "operationschief77"
<operationschief77@...> wrote:
>
> Good Day!
>
> I have no real experience with papercrete but I do have experience
> with stucco and construction in general. Having perused the web I
> have come to the conclusion that either most papercrete creations
are
> in dry climates or the people posting info are.
> As well it seems that most papercrete building is 'new home'
> construction rather than applying these techniques to existing
> homes. With that said I am hoping that I am not alone in my desire
> to find some good advice here on how to move forward with
> incorporating papercrete into an existing home. My family and I
live
> in southern Alberta, Canada which is still many miles north of
where
> much of the papercrete work seems to be focused. With that said
this
> is my intention as of right now. We live in a thousand sqft home
> with a basement of approximately similar dimensions. There is an
> exisitng concrete basement that is eight feet deep. This basement
> does not have any insulation nor does it have a concrete floor.
What
> I intend to do is 'pour' a papercrete slab to approximately 4"
depth,
> run an in floor heating line above that and then top it off with
clay
> flooring. As for the walls I have a couple of possibilities in
> mind. Due to the insulative nature of papercrete I could spray
> progressive layers of high paper, papercrete directly onto the
> exisitng concrete walls. Another technique I am thinking about
using
> is 'harling' the mixture on the wall until I have the desired
> thickness. These 2 techniques have the advantage of trapping air
in
> the mixture as it is being applied therefore adding to the
insulting
> effect. The other method would be to simply trowel the mixture on
in
> a couple of brown coats until the right thickness is achieved. My
> questions are simple ones, firstly anyone try this before? Two,
how
> does papercrete bond to existing concrete? I know with stucco
> spalling can occur so for that reason I usually add some Elmer's
glue
> and extra lime, very sticky and haven't lost a parging yet. Mikey
> Sklar has suggested a couple of cups of old latex paint. The most
> pressing question is to what thickness can one go when attaching
> papercrete to existing concrete? My concern here is the papercrete
> not having the necesary structral integrity to support its own
weight
> and will then come off in chunks. A few ideas have been to attach
> chicken wire to the concrete much as you would in applying stucco
to
> a wall. Or perhaps run nails into the wall and then weave willow
> branches through them to form a kind of rebar structure. We are
> motivated by trying to use all locally available resources.
> Ultimately I think I am going to try them all and see which works.
> If can prove an effective method for binding papercrete to concrete
I
> can then add this to my available options for my customers who are
> looking for more'green' building techniques. Next time I will
> describe how I intend to turn an old hot tub into a papercrete
> mixer. Thanks for any input you may have.
>
> James
>



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/