Thursday, July 26, 2007

[papercreters] Re: Hello. Introduction, and couple of questions.

I suspect that if you try two samples, one wet cured then dried, and
another cured/dried right after it's poured/moulded you won't find
much difference. Don't let my comment stop you from trying your
experiment though.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for furniture. I
think this could be a really great material for a creative designer.

Do I dare mention the picture of Mikey Sklar's papercrete chair? heh
heh heh. Something tells me Daniel will come up with something a lot
better than that one! heh heh heh

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "thesilentchamber"
<thesilentchamber@...> wrote:
>
> I've unmoulded some of the samples, going to let some cure by
keeping
> them moist and covered for the next couple of weeks. I will let
> everyone know what the results are.
>
> I am going to be attempting polishing some in the coming weeks to
find
> out how it reacts. As a furniture designer most of the things that
> I've incorperated concreete into require a polished smooth finish
on
> atleast one side.
>
> I'm not sure how the paper will react to the being moist as
mentioned
> above- so I guess I'll find out in the experimentation. The cement
I
> use is a white portland and lime mix, so the lime will ward off
> bacteria growth and mold to some degree- we'll see. One thing I
have
> noticed so far is that papercrete has much more shrinkage then
mixes
> that I'm acustomed to- undoubtably due to the very high water
content
> the paper holds, but something I didnt think of before mixing.
> The high water concent I've also noticed causes dyes to become more
> cencentrated at the top when the leveling occurs, which would make
for
> interesting objects if cast to take advantage of this.
>
> I have been reading through some of the posts here and my intrests
> seem to be alot differnt then any other people here. I'm not
planning
> on building a house or building out of it. I am moreso interested
in
> using it for more enviromentally friendly and recycled furniture
and
> fixture designs that I've been working on as part of a "green"
> project. What really sparked my intrest was a bookshelf design I've
> been working on that I was wanting to use concreete shelving for-
> something I've done in the past with traditional mixes that I deep
> polished and along with pretensioned cable reinforment came out
very
> strong and beautiful. Anyway, just some information on me and my
> intrests- seems to help if people know what your specially thinking
of
> the information being applied to when asking questions. I'll
continue
> with my testing and keep a book of notes and pictures, then post
them
> for everyone to read once the testing is "finished" ( I've come to
> realize that testing is NEVER finished on most things).
>
> -Daniel
> TheSilentChamber
>



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/