Wednesday, July 25, 2007

[papercreters] Re: Hello. Introduction, and couple of questions.

I've unmoulded some of the samples, going to let some cure by keeping
them moist and covered for the next couple of weeks. I will let
everyone know what the results are.

I am going to be attempting polishing some in the coming weeks to find
out how it reacts. As a furniture designer most of the things that
I've incorperated concreete into require a polished smooth finish on
atleast one side.

I'm not sure how the paper will react to the being moist as mentioned
above- so I guess I'll find out in the experimentation. The cement I
use is a white portland and lime mix, so the lime will ward off
bacteria growth and mold to some degree- we'll see. One thing I have
noticed so far is that papercrete has much more shrinkage then mixes
that I'm acustomed to- undoubtably due to the very high water content
the paper holds, but something I didnt think of before mixing.
The high water concent I've also noticed causes dyes to become more
cencentrated at the top when the leveling occurs, which would make for
interesting objects if cast to take advantage of this.

I have been reading through some of the posts here and my intrests
seem to be alot differnt then any other people here. I'm not planning
on building a house or building out of it. I am moreso interested in
using it for more enviromentally friendly and recycled furniture and
fixture designs that I've been working on as part of a "green"
project. What really sparked my intrest was a bookshelf design I've
been working on that I was wanting to use concreete shelving for-
something I've done in the past with traditional mixes that I deep
polished and along with pretensioned cable reinforment came out very
strong and beautiful. Anyway, just some information on me and my
intrests- seems to help if people know what your specially thinking of
the information being applied to when asking questions. I'll continue
with my testing and keep a book of notes and pictures, then post them
for everyone to read once the testing is "finished" ( I've come to
realize that testing is NEVER finished on most things).

-Daniel
TheSilentChamber



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/