Tuesday, July 3, 2007

[papercreters] Re: Fibrous Cement - some photos

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Ernie Phelps" <eepjr24@...> wrote:
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Stone Tool <owly@> wrote:
> >
> > Mikey:
> > What was your mix??????? It appears to have a nice working
> > texture, but looking at it, it appears not to be
> > highly "adhesive". I'd be very interested to know what your mix
> > consisted of. Also not having worked with PC (yet), it appears
> > that the bread dough consistency would indicate that there had
> > quite a bit of water drained off prior to application.
>
> Just looking at the photos, I am guessing 4 or 5 paper slurry to 1
> cement to 1 aggregate (which looks like local sand mix). That
> consistency is about what I get from the pressure washer, without
> draining, FYI.
>
> > Presumably a tow mixer cannot achieve this directly and
> > there must an intermediate draining stage.........
>
> Out of my area on that one. heh. Can't tell if his tub has a drain
> or screen system in it from the pictures.
>
> Mike: Nice pics, by the way. Next time I mix some I will try to get
> the wife out to either video or take some pics. Are the high up sun
> dome looking things on the wall glass mixing bowls? If so, ingenious
> usage.
>
> - Ernie
>

I have the mix written down (somewhere) - I will hunt it down. As
mentioned I mixed water adn paper only in the tow mixer. My mixer has
a big Mike McCain plug - I dumped the slurry in a cement mixing box.
From there I shoveled out to a five gallon bucket where I think I
filled up about 60% with the slurry. Then I added about 3 shovels of
sand and finally about one or two shovels full of finish stucco to
the very top and then mixed this with a paint paddle on a dewalt drill
motor.

The slurry in the cement pan lasts for several days. I did no
additional drying, but I did shovel out the drier material and the
water separates from the slurry some as it rests in the pan - I tipped
and skimmed it off now and again. I made a papercrete step with this
mix that has held up in the elements for 4 years now. After the
initial cracking from drying - it hasn't cracked since. It seems to
have adhered quite well. It has been on the blows covered with black
paper and then chicken wire without a problem fr going on five years.

The glass light train at the top of the south facing long wall on the
16 X 12 garden cottage is made up of gallon wine jugs that I cut the
tops off with a 10" tile saw - a bit of a dicey project (you need to
cover up well) - but once you are set up I cut those in no time ;-)-
the green glass is nice.

John

__._,_.___
SPONSORED LINKS
Yahoo! Groups

Moderator Central

An online resource

for moderators.

Yoga Groups

Exchange insights

with members of

the yoga community.

Share Photos

Put your favorite

photos and

more online.

.

__,_._,___