Wednesday, November 10, 2010

[papercreters] Re: sheds- codes- mice damage

As for the mice, try a live catch box. That is what I use.

As for the codes, I have been studying my counties codes (they are online). Im allowed a 120sq ft floor structure. Im also allowed a "shade cloth" structure of any size. The posts about burlap crete has me thinking that is just shade cloth with industrial type glue to stiffin it. Im going to call the building dept and inquire as to if I can build a shade cloth structure and stiffin up the fabric with glue and insulate it. If so, then of course I would insulate it with pc.

Im anxious to get a tow mixer up and working to experiment with coating burlap or old sheets with pc and making beam type forms for possible load bearing or load bearing columns. It seems there are lots of differnt opinions on the load bearing capabilities here. I do live in earthquake country so I shouldnt be foolish with that.


--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Charmaine Taylor <dirtcheapbuilderbooks@...> wrote:
>
> From what I understand the code varies.. in most area you can build UP to
> 120 sq ft.. sometimes by roof line, often by sq foot floor. in some
> counties- like Sacramento- you can build 250 sq ft as an out building- used
> as an Ag building. in farm areas it seems more relaxed.
>
> Humboldt county has the 120 sq ft rule, no filing of anything needed., and
> you cant have elec or plumbing of course.
>
> so people build a series of small sheds for sleeping, living, storage,
> working. and use a generator, or run a power line cord as needed to each,
> or use camping lanterns, battery lights, candles for light as needed.
>
> I had anexisting small shed 6x12, and built it out to fully 120, and added a
> second one 2" away next to it as a tool shed. the first was a goat shed, and
> I converted it to a craft shed to carry all my 'art' junk & stuff, and have
> a work table, etc/
> I ran a power cord to a hanging lamp on days when it was darkish, and
> normally dont need light to work. or when I need a hot glue gun to work
>
> But mice chewed thru the lamp cord anyway.. and I just found yesterday that
> mice chewed through the cord on my new reciprical saw.. arghgghghgh, damn
> things get in all over, so I really need to finish the tool shed before they
> eat everything all winter.
>
> I am tempted to use the Cambodian method... to skewer an ear of corn with a
> long wire, butter it, put peanut butter on the center, and lay the wired on
> over a 3/4 full water pail... the rat runs to the corn, slips off and
> drowns.. hate to make anything suffer, but I am sick of the damage.
>
> the tool shed, if I get it finished has only one window, but a huge slider
> door I got free that faces east, and gets alot of light that way.
>
> -- we have an AOB-- alt owner builder code here, and people do strawbale,
> cordwood and other, but have a lot of issues with dept of building
> anyway.. it is mostly about having windows and doors, proper electrical,
> etc, and NOT really about alt methods.. just safety
> Charmaine Taylor Publishing
> www.papercrete.com
> www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/