Monday, November 15, 2010

[papercreters] Re: 700' burlap wall, insulation projects

Do you have a link to the 700' wall? I would like to find his recipe. I googled but couldnt come up with it. As to putting fabric or whatever temporarily against the flat ply that is tacked to the studs and then plastering over the fabric and then removing the ply........ I take it that pc wont stick to the ply after it hardens? Am I understanding you correctly?

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Charmaine Taylor <dirtcheapbuilderbooks@...> wrote:
>
> Fact: Michael's running 700' burlap and cement wall did not not cost
> $1.45 a sq ft.
>
> I mention the following because it applies to using papercrete too.
>
> This past week I am finishing my tool shed... finally! a place for all
> the tools, nails, odd ball bits and pieces I want to keep.
>
> the standard construction stud frame shed was clad in free building ply, and
> I will shingle it with the free old redwood shingles.
>
> the insulation I wanted to use is a sawdust and lime. ( the shed may become
> a bedroom/living spacce in future, so I wanted insulation put in now.)
>
> I did a clay-lime- sawdust in one wall, last summer, it was wetter, and
> heavier to lay in, but now in late fall it is too late for that to cure and
> dry inside the wall. so I just dusted the aged sawdust with lime powder,
> and placed it inside the hollows between the studs.
>
> I tested different materials across the studs.. the best is tin plates from
> a print press, these are thin enough to cut with sissors. they get stapled
> up, and stay rigid when filled.
>
> next is garden weed control fabric, stretched and tight across the studs
> it tended to bow slightly from the weight of the sawdust as I went up the
> wall.
> also used cheesecloth-- too weak, and bowed too much, and too much fine dust
> comes thru.
>
> in another building I tested regular dress weight fabric, burlap, dress
> netting ( again too much comes thru, too soft, pegboard, cardboard sheets.
>
> just about anything can work, on the softer fabrics, if you want to use them
> because you will plaster over later, then, just tack up a ply board or other
> hard surface temporarily. once the papercete or sawdust crete is cured,
> you take off the board, and plaster away.
>
>
> of course if you have lots of ply or other wood to lay across the studs then
> no fabric is needed.
> I recommend to put in cross wood supports ( deadmen) in the studs where
> you will want to hang cabinets etc, and need the strength.
>
> --
> Charmaine Taylor Publishing
> www.papercrete.com
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/