Thursday, November 11, 2010

[papercreters] Re: sheds- codes- mice damage

Greetings all. I don't post often, but this topic brought me to respond.
I met Charmaine in Oregon almost 7 years ago. I have since read many of her postings and appreciate how much she has helped others.

I am just finishing a shed here in Denver. Code is less than 100 square feet does not require a permit. So it is just under 100. I found steel pallet shelves at the metal salvage yard and used 2 for the framework of the shed. I will repeat the process with some hard earned lessons from the Denver shed. My mountain property (Fremont County CO)allows 200 square feet. I can't live in it either. I can get a permit for a trailer. None of the neighbors got permits to live on the property while they contructed their home. One old man near by got a permit for a trailer. His house looks like a trailer until you step in. It is really 2 trailers with some walls removed and the adjoining space finished and covered with a roof. I have a tow behind papercrete mixer, large air compressor, Tyrolessa sprayer and a couple cubic yards of shredded paper from the pest control company I closed. I hope to erect at least 2 sheds, cover the sides with used carpet, then spray papercrete on the carpet mesh. I learned that from Bob Merril.

Now, regarding rodents. Different rodents require different strategies. I do not recall mice ever chewing electrical wiring. Squirrels were the primary culprit here. However Charmaine lives in a different climate.

Identify the culprits. Find their nests, and pathways. Figure out their food preferences. Determine whether water is a factor in their world.

Traps are a guage. They tell you if the problem is still there and give some identification to a culprit. They do not solve the problem. Hence, the effort will become a routine unless you eliminate their habitat in your space, mess with their pathways,and alter food and water if possible.
good luck
gary


Close their entry points into your shed.

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/