Friday, November 12, 2010

Re: [papercreters] On demand water heater



Hi Judith,  thanks for your reply.   When I was designing my radiant system, it was quite common to find boilers as the water heater.   I questioned this because why would one want to heat water to boiling when a radiant system can work by circulating water at half the temperature of boiling water, which is about the temperature of a water heater.  

 

Using an on-demand heater for both kitchen and hot tub would require some planning, because you wouldn't want hot tub water coming out of the kitchen faucet, so the tub would need its own closed-loop system.   On demand heaters operate when water flows through them.   A heater for a kitchen faucet works when the faucet is opened and water pressure causes the flow.     The heater for a hot tub turns on when a pump is turned on to circulate the water in the tub lines.   

 

If you are designing a system for a hot tub, you might also do it with a spa heater and/or controller which are readily available.   These perform the exact same function as an on-demand water heater and require less power, and thus they also cost less.   Of course these are electrical but can function at 110 volts.

 

Neal

 


----- Original Message -----
From: "JUDITH WILLIAMS" <williams_judith@hotmail.com>
This is a great response Neal. I have often wondered how an on demand system would function with a radiant heating system. And your saying it would be good with a tub is wonderful news. When the time comes to actually do something about this I may ask you for advice. Wouldn't it be nice of we all lived in proximity so we could help each other out in person? This group is a tremendous source of information. I know I would not done as well as I have without it.

So, could I use this on demand heater to heat my kitchen water and my hot tub water? I am really going to have to study up on my plumbing. I have located all the hot water using things so they can share the heater.

I don't plan to have grid electricity so will rely on propane for water heating. I hope I will have enough in my tax refund to run my water lines and get a propane tank and have it filled.


Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog

More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith





To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: sire@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 01:29:04 +0000
Subject: Re: [papercreters] On demand water heater

 

I have an on demand unit that heats the water for the tubes in my radiant heating system.   So far it's lasted for 5 years and has been one of the better building decisions I've made.    Recycling water from a tub through an on-demand heater would be an excellent application.   You could even use an electrical on demand heater and avoid the higher prices on gas and the expense of running a gas line.
 
Neal
 

----- Original Message -----
From: "edward bishop" edwardnbishop@yahoo.com
 
Hi Christine
  My name is Ed Bishop and I have been a plumber since 1978. The on demand water heaters are geat if you purchase a Noitz or Rinnai. These two will give a constant flow for the set temperature and are very dependable; carrying a 10 warrant under normal use. No I am not a factory rep just an old plumber. But here is the trick to getting good prices. Most of the plimbing supply houses will discount last years model very deeply. Example; Ferguson's Enterprises willtake last yearts model at $1400 and drop it to $875. All the warranties are the same. But do the yearly cleaning and I have seen them last longer than 18 years. The thing is you use vinagar to clean it and it takes less than 10 minutes. There are in door and out door models so talk with afactory rep to see which is best. In South Carolina we use mosstly the out door, It does not stay below 32 for many days. Though you do need 110 volt power supply if you have a car battery and an AC/DC inverter and make the electrical connection with a plug the battery will allow operation for several days-------Good Luck       

Eddie Bishop, owner
Carolina Plumbing
864-621-9762



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___