Monday, November 15, 2010

Re: [papercreters] 700' burlap wall, insulation projects



If you use liquid laundry starch on your stretched fabric it makes it so that small particles can't come through.

I use fabric on walls and put it up with starch.
Calle

Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless


-----Original message-----
From: Charmaine Taylor <dirtcheapbuilderbooks@gmail.com>
To:
papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Sent:
Mon, Nov 15, 2010 19:18:05 GMT+00:00
Subject:
[papercreters] 700' burlap wall, insulation projects

 


Fact:  Michael's  running 700' burlap and cement wall  did not not cost $1.45 a sq ft. 

I mention the  following because it applies to using papercrete too.

This past week I  am finishing my tool shed... finally!  a place for all  the tools, nails, odd ball bits and pieces I want to keep.

the standard construction stud frame shed was clad in free building ply, and I will shingle it with the free old redwood shingles.

the  insulation I wanted to use is a sawdust and lime. ( the shed may become a bedroom/living spacce in future, so I wanted insulation put in now.) 

 I did a clay-lime- sawdust in one wall, last summer, it was wetter, and heavier to lay in,  but now in late fall it is too late for that to cure and dry inside the wall.  so I just dusted the  aged sawdust with lime powder, and  placed it inside the  hollows between the studs.  

I tested different materials across the studs.. the best is tin plates from a print press, these are thin enough to cut with sissors. they get stapled up, and stay rigid when filled. 

 next  is  garden weed control fabric, stretched and tight across the studs it tended to  bow slightly from the weight of the sawdust as I went up the wall.
also used cheesecloth-- too weak, and bowed too much, and too much fine dust comes thru. 

in another building I tested  regular dress weight fabric, burlap,  dress netting ( again too much comes thru, too soft,  pegboard, cardboard sheets.

just about anything can work, on the softer fabrics, if you want to use them because you will plaster over later, then, just tack up a ply board or other hard  surface temporarily.  once the  papercete or sawdust  crete is cured, you take off the board, and plaster away.


of course if you have lots of ply or other wood to lay across the studs then  no fabric is needed.
I recommend to put in  cross  wood supports ( deadmen) in the studs where you will want to hang cabinets etc, and need the strength.
 
--
Charmaine Taylor Publishing
www.papercrete.com
 



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___