Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Re: [papercreters] Re: underground papercrete house? How do I waterproof it?

Greetings,
My piers go down a long way, to solid bedrock. Ten foot piers for my
building to sit on, so it doesn't shift. So, the top of the land will
show the movement against my piers. The concrete was even with the
land, when the ground is wet and expanded, but when we dry out, the land
shrinks, and the concrete is 4" out of the ground. That is a lot of
movement, enough to crush a concrete wall.

There is a basement in Texas, at a winery between Houston and Galveston.
I think it is call Haak Winery. A tour there may teach you a few
tricks. BTW, their basement stays a perfect 70 at all times.

Bright Blessings,
Garth & Kim Travis
www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
Bedias, Texas

On 2/18/2013 8:18 PM, waterengineman101 wrote:
> Hmmm.....I may need to read up on that.
> "What kind of soil do you have?"...I don't know. It's not sandly lome.
> More of a brown dirt. This was erogated farm land in the 50's 60's &
> 70"s. There may be a clay line underneath about 5 foot down...I ran into
> some when I was post hole digging a 5 foot deep telephone pole hole.
>
> "When we dried out for summer, my concrete was four inches out of the
> ground"....I am trying to understand that. What can you tell me about that?
> Where is Bedias, Texas?
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:papercreters%40yahoogroups.com>, Garth & Kim Travis wrote:
> >
> > Greetings,
> > What kind of soil do you have? If you have the heavy clay that is
> > normal in many parts of Texas, your underground house will break at the
> > first really good rain. You need a way to make sure your land doesn't
> > move. I first noticed mine does because of my piers. I put them in
> > during the wet season and brought the concrete to the level of the
> > ground. When we dried out for summer, my concrete was four inches out
> > of the ground. So, no underground house for me. The forces of nature
> > are too strong here.
> >
> > Bright Blessings,
> > Garth & Kim Travis
> > www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
> > Bedias, Texas
> >
> > On 2/18/2013 5:53 AM, waterengineman101 wrote:
> > > Hello people. Long time no see! Well guys work and daily life gets
> in my
> > > fasinasion about papercrete a lot so I end up not getting to spend much
> > > time on it. However soon (like in 2 months) I will be able to start my
> > > house. As you should know, the earth is absolutely the best insulater
> > > against the heat of summer (think, far south texas, 100 degrees
> everyday
> > > for months on end...for real!). And, I have access to a backhoe and can
> > > operate it. AND, if its underground I won't have to pay taxes on it. So
> > > here's the BIG question. What is a sure fire no guessing truely proven
> > > way to make papercrete waterproof? Now I want to clearify. I don't mean
> > > I want to know if it will work just a little bit, I want to know it
> will
> > > work FOR SURE! no cactus juice works well, no I heard you use linseed
> > > oil...I need it to actually BE waterproof as now I am concidering
> > > building the house underground. To ease fears, I allready think I know
> > > about how to keep it from colapsing in. right now I am only researching
> > > on how to make papercrete WATERPROOF. Totally waterproof, no
> seapage, No
> > > dampness threw the wall...TOTAL waterproofing. NOW.....can anybody tell
> > > me what I need to know. I will await an answer and I will check back
> > > after work today. Thanks for your time.
> > >
> > > s.
> > >
> > >
> >
>
>
>
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Version: 2013.0.2899 / Virus Database: 2639/6114 - Release Date: 02/18/13
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/