Wednesday, February 20, 2013

[papercreters] Re: underground papercrete house? How do I waterproof it?

I never said Barry reccomended it, I said he said there were ways to do it. Which in my opinion tells me that he would recommend it. He said it was possible and he has done it. Hell I just got am email from the man not 5 days ago and he was trying to sell me the information on how to do it for crying out loud. Now if he is willing to sell me the information that he says will do what I want it to do wouldn't YOU think that is was some sort of reccomendation? I mean, come on, give me "a little" credit for doing at least SOME research on my subject.

" Barry Fuller does not recommend using Papercrete to build underground shelters no matter how it is waterproofed either."...and how do YOU absolulely without a doubt know this? You talked to him or something?

"Since you claim to have read his website, I'm surprised that you weren't already aware of this fact."...go to his websight. Press the construction tab. Then press the waterproofing tab. That is your start. He recommended DrylocK for one. Yes nothing there about underground but plenty about waterproofing. Now combine that with what he told me in his email and you can put 2 and 2 together and see that he is saying it will work. That or heaven forbid he is only lying to gain a profit....which I allways leave open for the benifit of the doubt. here is a copy of his exact wording...." Yes, I have two proven techniques for doing what you have asked for.

However, you may have missed the information on my "Contact" page which talks about how I make my livelihood. It's by charging a small fee for what it has taken me years and thousands of dollars to find out about papercrete. The fee is well worth your time as you have already found out. There are a lot of people out there with ideas about how to do things, but very, very few with direct hands-on experience.

I have personally completed one approach to your problem, and have been using it for years. The other approach I personally witnessed and investigated. I found it to work. Go to my "Contact" page and save yourself a lot of time and money.

Thanks.
Barry

Now desiffer.....would you not think he is saying plainly there that it IS possible???

"As far as alternative underground construction techniques, there are many. Earthbag probably is the least expensive.".....yes. earthbagging will and does work, even underground. But you still need to waterproof it, I don't care what anybody says,because it's below ground...end of sentance.

yes cargo containers will work. But have you priced them lately? And you STILL would have to waterproof it. Plus put a covering of somesort over the painted metal...if not it will rust threw in 2 twos or so. 'Happened to the branch Davidians' school buses they burried because they didn't cover and seal them right.

"The point is that keeping water out of any underground structure involves a whole series of inter-related interdependent systems."....ya....TELL ME about it. I know.

"As far as you not understanding why grown men enjoy football. That is clearly your choice and I have no problem with you making that choice. I only clarify this point for everyone else on Papercreters since you made it clear through your tone that you do not want to get the point, which is your choice." Okay....sooooooooo I can not like football then? Like I said...it doesn't make me money,so why do it. But to each his own I guess. No disrespect intended as you were implying though. Games don't interest me anymore. They did when I was a hell of a lot younger, say like, in my teens and twenties...but not now. I guess that stems from being working class pour...lower middle class you could say...and struggling in real life and getting older by the day and no way out but to bust ace and get through the day and try to recouperate the best I can at the end of the day after having worked hard all day. Dam....where'd that come from? LOL! But tiddlywink tournament?? where did THAT come from Slurryman?

Anyway, overall, I still beleive building underground with papercrete is possible.....I just need to do more research on it.









--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "JayH" <slurryguy@...> wrote:
>
> Barry Fuller does not recommend using Papercrete to build underground shelters no matter how it is waterproofed either. Since you claim to have read his website, I'm surprised that you weren't already aware of this fact.
>
> Barry advocates elastomerics for above ground waterproofing of papercrete, and some other specialty uses. In those applications it works great. Of course, this is competely different than what you are proposing.
>
> As far as alternative underground construction techniques, there are many. Earthbag probably is the least expensive. Poured reinforced concrete probably the most expensive. Then there are a whole host of other techniques from stone masonry, to buried cargo containers, to earthship, and many more. Each different technique has advantages and disadvantages, pretty much like everything else in life.
>
> I also would add that waterproofing an underground structure involves a great deal more than simply coating the structural shell with a waterproofing. To do it correctly, begins with site selection to avoid water in the first place. Then one must excavate sufficiently and provide subsurface drainage to prevent water from exerting constant hydraulic pressure as well as avoiding any chance of frost heaving or any other form of ground shifting which tends to cause cracks that even the best waterproofing systems cannot prevent from leaking. Once the structural shell is completed and waterproof coatings applied, correct backfilling and appropriate compaction is critical. Backfilling with non permeable materials next to the shell will not allow water to drain away properly. Not to mention the potential for damaging waterproofing layers during the backfilling process. Finally, after backfilling, probably the most important factor is final grading and landscaping. Those final measures of grading and landscaping are probably just as important if not more important than whatever waterproof coatings someone may apply to the underground shell.
>
> The point is that keeping water out of any underground structure involves a whole series of inter-related interdependent systems. Make mistakes in any one of those systems and it compromises all the others.
>
> I once more encourage starting small. Perhaps you might want to consider a project similar to a small underground root cellar as a starter project. Learn what works well for you on something that requires a smaller investment of time and money before undertaking a larger project that eats up a great deal more time and money.
>
>
> As far as you not understanding why grown men enjoy football. That is clearly your choice and I have no problem with you making that choice. The point was that enjoying a gathering of friends and/or family, whether that be to watch a football game, celebrate a birthday party, holidays, a poker game, a pizza party, ballroom dancing, bible study, quilting bee, tiddlywink tournament, or any other reason that people gather, does not require a big expensive house. The gathering can take place in a variety of spaces. I only clarify this point for everyone else on Papercreters since you made it clear through your tone that you do not want to get the point, which is your choice. I have neither the desire nor the time to judge anyone's life choices but my own.
>
>
>
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "waterengineman101" <shanerileyservices@> wrote:
> >
> > "No matter what someone
> > uses to try to waterproof it, it will be insufficient."....And HOW do you know this? I was reading Barry Fullers websight last night (livinginpaperdotcom). He plainly wrote that there ARE ways to waterproof papercrete. Using UGL DryLoK is just one way. Those makers swear no water will come through.
> >
> > "There are other far more effective and reliable methods to build an underground shelter. Many of them can be very inexpensive."....And what might they be since that is the avenue I am on.
> >
> > "Second... if someone is considering building underground, please make certain that you are building on HIGH GROUND!!!!"...Got you covered on that one.
> >
> > "Select a State/County/Community that has low property taxes in the first place."...Not possible. And disreguard what I said about taxes. That was my business anyway.
> >
> > "Short of building a submarine buried in the ground, your waterproofing is doomed to fail regardless of the construction system you employ."....Jesus, Talk about dooms dayers. And how much research have YOU done on this subject before making THAT comment?
> >
> > "Garages and Barns are also useful, but taxed at a higher rate than a shed, but also taxed at a lower rate than a house. Don't hesitate to build a Garage or Barn if that is what you need, but don't build a garage or barn to be a storage shed. Sheds are the cheapest storage you can build." ...And if you Just use 18 wheeler box type (cargo) trailers and leave the wheels on them and use them as storage sheds well then you won't be taxed at all on them. Old U-haul truck work good too.
> >
> > " I watched the Superbowl at a friend's farm shop building. He just moved his truck and tractor outside and pushed all his tools to one wall. There was a huge expanse of space and he rolled out a carpet and moved in a bunch of furniture and a big TV. BBQ was plentiful. We played touch football with the kids indoors. Great fun.".....I never could understand the concept of grown men playing football. It don't make me money...so why do it is what I allways figured.
> >
> >
> >
> >
>




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/