Monday, October 1, 2012

[papercreters] New scissors barrel mixer



I have tried for a couple of years to get details about the "scissors barrel mixer" by John McCain, but the best I could find was a photo posted a while back that didn't show much, and a short description. Taking that, this morning I started cutting and drilling angle iron, and in the afternoon got out my welder. What I made isn't real pretty, but I think it might work. Tomorrow I need to find a large pulley and fabricate a motor mount. I already have a 1hp motor that I think will make this thing unstoppable.



The two outer "legs" are longer than the center one because it was easier to cut that piece once instead of twice and the remnant would have been to short to use anyway. I think it will help with the mixing action for them to be longer, anyway. I started out drilling holes for the shaft to go through, but that was not easy with this layout, and then I found these nice nuts that just fit the shaft I bought. I welded them on as shaft guides. The blades got nuts welded on in the center, with a hole though to put a bolt through the shaft, and lock them on the spinning shaft.



This is the beast in the barrel. It is long enough that the three legs will not spin. It is not bolted to the barrel. The shaft goes through metal brackets that are on the outside. These brackets hold the shaft bushings and will support the motor. The blades are keyed to the shaft with bolts so that they can be removed if I ever need to work on the mixer. The alternative would have been to weld them in place, making it really hard to repair.

If things go right I'll have this running tomorrow. I'll take more photos in the daylight after I get the motor running, and post a report on how it makes pulp.

The original description said McCain's would mix a barrel full in two minutes flat!!! If this one is even close to that, I think I'll make short work of the triangles for the underground dome.

spaceman




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___