Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Re: [papercreters] Data base info on PC mix

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 07:53:21 -0500, you wrote:

>The problem with this is that most people do not weigh their
>ingredients to make a mix. So it will be hard to get a consistent
>result that a code official is going to be willing to look at. Small
>changes can make big differences in test results.

Absolutely! I am not a code official, nor am I a mason, but I'd love
to back up 'this mix is stronger than that one' with real data not
just supposition & faith.

>
>Cylinder break tests (compressive strength testing) might work for
>this but there may be a better test in ASTM. I work the Public Works
>end of it so I am not sure exactly what testing would be correct from
>a building code standpoint.

I've been looking for a 'redneck CBT'. I doubt most folks would send
cylinders out to be tested 28 days after a pour-- but if we could get
an estimate 3-4 days after a mix was poured, it would be of great
help.

In particular I'd love to test the difference between using sharp sand
or clay in a concrete mix. I've taken 30-40 tons of clay out of my
basement & bought 20-30 tons of sand for mixing concrete & mortar over
the past 20 yrs or so. I've got another 20 tons of clay to move &
it would be nice to just turn it into something useful.

Here's how the cylinder testing is done professionally if anyone isn't
familiar with the process;
http://www.nrmca.org/aboutconcrete/cips/35p.pdf

Jim


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/