Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Weighing and measuring was RE: [papercreters] Re: Ron & Doris Papercrete Formula



I have never had a scale at my building site so have never weighed anything. I go by the visual amount or 5 gallon buckets. I know that 1 94 lb bag of cement will fit into 2 five gallon buckets, so when I get the cement/fly ash mix I use 2 five gallon buckets. Same with the pumice and perlite. I use a certain number of buckets (I keep adjusting the amounts trying to get it right). Do most people have a scale at the jobsite?

When we were mixing at the gathering I was just getting used to using cardboard in place of newspaper so wasn't sure how much to put in. Donald Miller uses cardboard exclusivley so I asked him for a guideline. (Another true scientific type) he never measures anything either. His mixer is a little smaller than mine but his recommendation was to fill the mixer with cardboard til it is mounded up. Then add water to a few inches below the rim of the tank. He uses soil rather than cement and I can't remember now how much he uses but I think it was something like 15 shovels full. If you are reading this Donald please feel free to correct me.

So when it comes time for me to submit my formula I will have to pay close attention to the way I do it. And of course things are always being adjusted and changed according to the availablilty of materials.

Sincerely, Judith

Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith




i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: criswells.ok@sbcglobal.net
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 18:19:54 +0000
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Ron & Doris Papercrete Formula

 

Pleas don't take offense, but if you look at how the group did the pulping at Judith's, looks like they first started soaking cardboard, and then later just started craming dry cardboard into the tow mixer, did anybody stop and weigh that cardboard? I personally never weigh anything, I find using the gallon standard is close enough for me, I don't care what the paper weighed before I pulped it, or what the weight of a gallon of  cement is, and in my case I don't care what a gallon of clay or a gallon of sand weigh, the only thing I care about is the number of gallons of each, I really understand the "drained Paper Pulp" statement, it simply means, in Ron & Doris case to dump the wet load on the ground, it will self drain, pick it up  15 gallons and put it in an electric or gas mixer and add the 2 gallons of cement, add additional water and mix until it looks like oatmeal.
Bob the builder
--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "thelandyachtaustin" <thelandyacht@...> wrote:

 any way to break that down to dry-weight on the paper, or do you pulp a large amount of paper at a time then just mix small batches in yer mixer?
 
--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "doris" dorisburton03@ wrote:

 3 five gallon buckets of drained paper pulp
 
2 gallon of portland cement
 
Add enough water for it to mix Around three gallons give or take a little.
 
This is mixed in a cement mixer.






__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___