Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Re: [papercreters] Papercrete Formula



My websites live on my brother's server. He is a professional programmer who just retired from Fluke Networks, did the firmware for the Copper Pro test instruments, some 4 million lines of code IIRC. He now consults, mostly for Fluke. When he first set up the family server he used Microsoft. It was constantly hacked, the security was pretty much non-existent. After the last time it was trashed by hackers in June of this year, he switched to Apache. There was a short learning curve but setup was relatively easy and just about everything we needed was available in open source. The experience was quite pleasant compared to Microsoft.

I used GoDaddy in the past for a commercial site, not many complaints. The advantages of using one of my websites are control of the data and economy since it would cost nothing to serve and is not likely to go away anytime soon. It sounds like you would be great for the job if only you weren't a M$ true believer. Six months ago when we were still running IIS then it would have been ideal. We do have mysql and php running, if that would help. For myself I haven't done any real programming since Apple II and Commodore 64 days, other than a few scripts for Digic cameras. Eight bit assembly is primitive compared to current options.

I would be interested in seeing your site. Anarchy/Libertarian won't bother me. If you don't want to post the link on the group, maybe you wouldn't mind sending it to me off list.

spaceman



Perry Way wrote:

yeah, somewhat.  in the past, that is.  (the experience).  I started modifying the code to do something special for a client down under (Australia).  Moodle happens to be really well suited for collaborative endeavors as well as online schooling and document management.  It is incredibly mature and totally free.  I was a long time fan of mySQL but at this point in my career (I'm a software developer/architect, database developer/administrator and systems analyst for my "day job") I have little room to be emotional about things since working for "the man" since my business failure (greedy partners hacking away at each other) and the subsequent lawsuit that I could not fund that resulted in bankruptcy has casted its very long shadow on my life.  The company I work for has literally zapped my spirit away.  I no longer have any desire to work in this industry because a single man can't make it on his own as a consultant anymore, and working for others results in complete denial of love for the work.  I know that is probably more than you asked to hear, but I will say this much.. since I went back to working for "the man" I've been in a solid 100% Microsoft world and I no longer touch LAMP or WAMP or WIMP, so I can't really help you on anything up that alley.

A lot of the time average people buy into these hosting plans that are solid LAMP because they are dirt cheep to host.  There's no licensing fees basically, or very very minimal (such as shared mySQL enterprise server which is something like $10,000, i.e. cheep).  But the problem is they then have to invest 10 times the effort to develop software, and probably about 10 times the time to maintain it.  If I were to do anything apart from my day job, such as a web application like what you're talking about, I'd get hosting through GoDaddy, get the Windows package with SQL Server and develop everything with SQL Server and ASP.net.  Time is money.  There is an incredible time savings going the Microsoft way.  I can point you in the direction of a lot more software too.  Most of which is able to be modified because it is open source, or.. there are open source versions (such as Dot Net Nuke, or my personal favorite Mojo Portal).

Just for a hoot, go check out Mojo Portal.  You might get a real kick out of it.  I got it running on GoDaddy with some effort.  I'd share the URL of my site so you could see how it looks to the end user but, alas, it is political oriented and likely to really torque off some liberals and conservatives alike.  (I'm an anarcho-Libertarian).  But anyway Mojo Portal has a neat demonstration portal site where you can log in and modify the site live.  Including changing skins, creating pages, blogs, image libraries, etc.  http://www.mojoportal.com/home.aspx

Perry  



On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Spaceman <Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net> wrote:
 

That looks interesting but has a learning curve associated with it. It says database modules. I could not get the demo to do anything other than listing source codes of pages. Are you familiar with that system? I was actually hoping that someone with experience would step up. Years ago I did databases with Access for an office, haven't done anything with them lately.

spaceman

Perry Way wrote:

check out Moodle.  maybe that software might have what you're looking for.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 6:58 PM, Spaceman <Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net> wrote:
 

A couple of years ago we started a big push to get papercrete adopted into the building codes and part of that effort was a database of different mixes and results. There was a committee that met with online chat weekly, and a website was founded for the database and applicable documents. We were discussing testing and certification. The database was open for anyone to add recipes and discuss results, though it still needed some polishing.

One of the principals became upset from a situation that is probably not appropriate for discussion here, and left with the website in tow. About that time the effort  deteriorated into a couple of the committee members chatting about whatever while waiting for others to show up.

With that said, I still think a cross reference of formulas and results would be invaluable both for newbies and for anyone who has to talk to a permitting and inspection authority. If we have anyone in the group that is conversant with online accessible databases and willing to put forth the effort to set it up, I have web space for it. The web server is running Linux Apache so the software would have to be compatible with that. I don't think yahoo offers anything appropriate within the groups system.

spaceman


On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Evelyn Vollmer <evelynanne8@gmail.com> wrote:
 

This is excellent. I think that it would be a good idea to put some of this info (like this post) into the file section of this site. I will have to look again at the files to see what we have as far as different subjects. I thought we had a file for formulas of mixes but I don't see it. I remember that we tried to do this once before. So it looks like we need a file on PC mix formulas. Any other thoughts on subjects that would be nice to have in one place? What do you think spaceman?


  


No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.422 / Virus Database: 270.14.21/2445 - Release Date: 10/19/09 06:40:00

 
No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.422 / Virus Database: 270.14.21/2445 - Release Date: 10/19/09 06:40:00


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___