Sunday, February 15, 2009

Re: [papercreters] Re: How do you use grocery store cardboard?

Hi Bob,
To you and others using  cement mixers to make pulped paper in any form using waste paper.  This statement about flap tape or any foreign body (including celophane window covers on plain envelopes) is true for anybody and gives one extra incentive to make a tow mixer.  My first couple of batches with a tow mixer used any kind of waste paper or cardboard.  On the way down the driveway I had to stop frequently and reach down and "strip" the tape and plastic off the leading edges of my blades.  And although papercrete is not that messy it did start to get on me my clothes and the steering wheel of my truck.  Someone riding with me and watching this one day said why not just back up?  LIGHT BULB!  So now I never have to reach in and clear the blades I just stop back up 10 feet or so and continue on.  Even with the backing up and going forward I spend less than 3 minutes behind the wheel of my 200 gallon tow mixer per batch.  Even emptying out the batch and filling the next I could do 3 in the 20 minutes you are churning with the cement mixer.  Of course I had an old truck rear end laying around and not a cement mixer, but if you want to make some papercrete in volume there is no better way!
Ron   

BTW : besure to remove all flap tape from the boxes before you put them into your mixer, the stuff really wraps around the mixing blades.




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___