Monday, February 23, 2009

[papercreters] Re: Structural Insulated Panels

I know this is going to sound crazy and it probably will not work but I'm going to try this method as soon as our weather here in Oklahoma warms up.

My idea is to place two sheets of OSB board one on top of the other, then drill about 9 holes for screws, three across the bottom, three across the middle and three across the top. I will then coat the inside of both sheets with a mixture of 50% Latex paint and 50% water and enough cement to make the mixture to the texture of a soupy paste. Once this is dryed if another coat is needed I will apply a second coat to insure the OSB boards are water proof.

 I will them place small 2x4 or 2x6 blocks probably cut exactly square either size, over the holes on the bottom sheet, and then screw them all in place from the bottom. After all are screwed in place I will build a 3 1/2  or 5 1/2  frame on three sides (top and long sides) of the bottom sheet, flush with the outside edge on top and one long side will be set back 1 1/2" from the edge, the other side will have a filler strip (3"xwhat ever the blocks are on the inside 3 1/2 or 5 1/2) that will attach to the next pair of OSB boards. After this is complete I intend to set the pair astradle of a base plate of the same size as the block used inside and screw them to the base plate. I will then bore a hole about the size of a quarter at the bottom just above the base plate in the middle of one sheet and another in the middle at the top just under the top form. I will then use a 50/50 mixture of cellouse blown in insulation and either portland cement or Hydraulic cement. I will blow this mixture into the bottom hole with my insulation machine and steam at the same time. When the cavity gets filled up to the top hole, I will plug the bottom hole and top off the cavity from the top hole all the while blowing steam with the blown in insulation and cement, after the cavity is completely full I will plug the top hole as I did the bottom hole. This mixture  should set up rather quickly and reach full strength in 28 days. But the drying time really doesn't matter because as soon as I complete the first sheet I will be able to start on the second pair and so on and so on until the entire outside wall of the house is complete. I know this sounds nuts but I've got to try it.

Bob  
 In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Greg House <ghunicycle@...> wrote:

It's a good idea, Bob, but I think you might have issues on a couple of fronts when it comes to pouring the papercrete in place.
 
First is the issue of papercrete drying. It would probably take an extended time to dry. 
 
Which brings up the second issue. OSB and extended contact with moisture don't get along too well. The strands delaminate and the material swells. I suspect it's structural integrity would be compromised.
 
In addition to that, the shrinkage issue would probably come into play. 
 
I would suggest, based on what I know about papercrete, that the best method of constructing a SIP using this material would be to create the papercrete panels without the OSB first, compressing the papercrete to give a consistent size, and to adhere the OSB to the papercrete panels after they've fully dried.
 
Greg
 ________________________________
 From: Bob criswells.ok@...
 To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 7:58:28 PM
 Subject: [papercreters] Structural Insulated Panels
 
 
http://www.achfoam. com/ACH/media/ audiovideo/ SIPs/R-Control/ short_version_ dialup.wmv
 I was looking over this site and thought to myself, if papercrete could be poured like the EPS foam between two sheets of OSB, and the shrinkage problem could be solved we could all make our own SIPs (Structural Insulated Panels) which are ICC approved due to the way they are installed in the house walls and roofs. The thought struck me to use Hydrolic Cement instead of plain old Portland, it expands while drying, that might solve the srinkage problem. I'm going to try some experiments and check it out. This could be great if it works. OSB is only about $7.00 a 4x8 sheet that would be 32 sq ft of wall area for under $20.00 including everything that would have to go into it.
 Bob




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___