Thursday, February 26, 2009

[papercreters] Re: Structural Insulated Panels

Janosh that is a good question, I first was thinking the ratio would be by weight, (ie) 94 lbs of cement and 94 lbs of paper pulp would equal 188 lbs plus the weight of the OSB and the top plate and spline would make the panels around 200 lbs each. I'm not sure 94 lbs of paper would fit inside of two sheets of OSB. It may only hold 50 lbs. I'll have to do some trial and error to see the exact ratio I'll need, and another issue can I handle that much weight. I never thought about the product this would produce, may be a different product than Papercrete, but you just might have a point. If you look at regular concrete it contains (usually) three parts coarse aggregate, two parts sand and one part cement. None of the mixture soaks up the cement but yet it is very strong. Like I've stated you can dig a hole in the ground, pour in a bag of dry ready mixed concrete or sand mix and just wait and it will set up just as if you had mixed it in a mixer, it just takes a little longer but for setting post and such it works very well. I'm hoping the added steam will also soak into the paper pulp as well as the cement powder.  I'm anxious to try it out, just waiting for better weather and time off from my full time job. Keep the suggestions coming it gives me food for thought.

Bob
 In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Janoahsh" <janoahsh@...> wrote:

 Very interesting idea Bob, making papercrete without all the water would certainly speed things up. When you say 50/50 cement paper ratio is that by weight? I have always figured that the idea of papercrete using so much water was to get the paper permeated with minute cement particles rather than getting it to set, or act as glue so I'm not sure you will be making the same product.
 
I'm anxious t o hear how the test panel turns out, how well it insulates, and fireproofs.
 
Janosh
 
 
 
 
 
From: papercreters@yahoogroups.com [mailto:papercreters@yahoogroups.com] On
 Behalf Of Bob
 Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 4:02 PM
 To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
 Subject: [papercreters] Re: Structural Insulated Panels
 
 
 
I have worked with concrete for 40 years, and we have always refered to the drying process as "SET" or "SET UP, as the concrete has set up now we can trowel it" I am quite aware that papercrete dries and it dries Extremely slowly, because it contains so much water, the process I will do will only involve about a gallon of water as steam. Portland Cement will set (or dry) if you just dig a hole in the ground and pour it in, it needs no additional water to make it set up. I don't think I made my discreption of my process very clear, I'm not much good with words. I am going to make a small SIP panel 20" wide by 40" tall that would be the same relation as a 48"wide by 96" tall SIP, with 10" repesenting center as 24" would repesent center in a
 48" wide sheet. This will serve as my test panel to see if it will work. It is my belief that once cellulose and portland cement are blended 50/50 and activated with steam inside a cavity (packed hard by the insulation machine) they will harden just like wet papercrete. I have never tried this so I'm just guessing but if it works I can forsee building a house in a very short time. I have blown cellulose insulation into a cavity like I described and I know the insulation machine packs it in very tight and fills every void. 
 
The panel walls will be attached to the slab or wood floor which ever is desired, by a sole plate that would be bolted to a slab and glued and nailed to a wood floor. The SIP's would be splined together and would have a top plate to support trusses which would be tied to the top plate with hurricane straps for added security. If desired the trusses would only have to be placed on 48" centers and SIP's could be laid and filled after they are all place and anchored to the trusses, with the long special SIP screws that reach completely through and hold the SIP's to the trusses. Thanks for your input all suggestions are welcome, that is how we learn.
 
Bob



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___