Friday, February 27, 2009

[papercreters] Re: Airform Dome project update

Hey Dave in one of his videos he said they used pearllite in the mix
thats why it floats so well.You can find it at garden stores.

-- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <aquaponicdave@...> wrote:
>
> I am planning to use the Mason Greenstar "Blox" mix. Their formula
is
> proprietary, so I don't know what it is. They make a bad ass block,
> that's all I know.
>
> If I can't get that soon enough, for the first dome I will go with a
> mix I have been using lately; 25% portland 75% paper slurry (by
> volume) with a variable amount of latex paint depending on the
> location. For outer layers I will back off on the portland for
greater
> insulation, then on the outermost layer I will mix it harder again.
>
> Any recommendations from the group? I am working out the last bugs
in
> my scaffolding system and will be shooting soon weather permitting.
>
> Dave
>
>
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <criswells.ok@> wrote:
> >
> >
> > Hey Dave, what will be the formula of your mix? Once you have
coated the
> > whole dome, either on the inside or the outside, which ever you
shoot
> > first, will you have to leave the air blowers going until it drys
to a
> > point that you can turn them off and also will the dome be self
> > supporting? Inquiring minds want to know! hee hee
> >
> > Bob
> > In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <aquaponicdave@> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> > Getting very close to shooting the dome, still working out the
last
> > equipment issues. I have been messing around with a Graco texture
> > sprayer, which seems to work pretty good (if I keep a close eye
on the
> > mix thickness).
> >
> > Video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMDYFV28eZs
> >
> > The Graco pump senses the airflow and automatically turns the PC
pump on
> > and off so all I have to do is operate the air valve. I tried to
shoot
> > some PC that was too thick and the PC jammed up a couple of
orifices
> > inside the pump, and after I tore it down and fixed that it's
been fine.
> > I can shoot some pretty thick stuff, see the other video
> > for more on the pump setup http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=Q9YpN5Wd5Wo

> >
> > I can get it to stick to slippery vertical surfaces until it's a
bit
> > over 1/4" thick, so I'm hoping that will be good enough for the
scratch
> > coat. I'm just using cellulose insulation and portland cement
> > so far, but I'll mess around with adding latex paint too soon,
as well
> > as shooting the Blox mix (which I need to go get now that the gun
is
> > ready).
> >
> > Speaking of the gun, I tried the Graco texture gun just for
grins, and
> > it couldn't handle the PC, it has a shutoff valve to stop the
flow of
> > texture material, and that would jam up with PC so I adapted my
earlier
> > design gun made from PVC plumbing pcs and it works fine (although
it
> > does slobber after I shut off the air, might add a ballvalve there
> > eventually).
> >
> > So now I'm working on my scaffold system (another story there) and
> > waiting for a good opportunity to go shoot the dome, I think I'll
need
> > three days of at least 65 degree weather, maybe this week...
> >
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/