Friday, February 27, 2009

Re: [papercreters] Re: Airform Dome project update

How can you accurately measure by volume? The percent of water to paper can vary a lot so a gallon of pulp could contain 1/2 pound of paper or 1/10 pound. If you weigh your dry paper before pulping and weigh your portland cement before adding it, then you can get consistent controlled mixes.

Spaceman

Dave wrote:

I am planning to use the Mason Greenstar "Blox" mix. Their formula is proprietary, so I don't know what it is. They make a bad ass block, that's all I know.  If I can't get that soon enough, for the first dome I will go with a mix I have been using lately; 25% portland 75% paper slurry (by volume) with a variable amount of latex paint depending on the location. For outer layers I will back off on the portland for greater insulation, then on the outermost layer I will mix it harder again.  Any recommendations from the group? I am working out the last bugs in my scaffolding system and will be shooting soon weather permitting.  Dave    --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <criswells.ok@...> wrote:   
 Hey Dave, what will be the formula of your mix? Once you have coated the whole dome, either on the inside or the outside, which ever you shoot first, will you have to leave the air blowers going until it drys to a point that you can turn them off and also will the dome be self supporting? Inquiring minds want to know! hee hee  Bob In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <aquaponicdave@> wrote:    Hello all,   Getting very close to shooting the dome, still working out the last equipment issues. I have been messing around with a Graco texture sprayer, which seems to work pretty good (if I keep a close eye on the mix thickness).  Video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMDYFV28eZs  The Graco pump senses the airflow and automatically turns the PC pump on and off so all I have to do is operate the air valve. I tried to shoot some PC that was too thick and the PC jammed up a couple of orifices inside the pump, and after I tore it down and fixed that it's been fine. I can shoot some pretty thick stuff, see the other video   for more on the pump setup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9YpN5Wd5Wo  I can get it to stick to slippery vertical surfaces until it's a bit over 1/4" thick, so I'm hoping that will be good enough for the scratch coat. I'm just using cellulose insulation and portland cement   so far, but I'll mess around with adding latex paint too soon, as well as shooting the Blox mix (which I need to go get now that the gun is ready).  Speaking of the gun, I tried the Graco texture gun just for grins, and it couldn't handle the PC, it has a shutoff valve to stop the flow of texture material, and that would jam up with PC so I adapted my earlier design gun made from PVC plumbing pcs and it works fine (although it does slobber after I shut off the air, might add a ballvalve there eventually).  So now I'm working on my scaffold system (another story there) and waiting for a good opportunity to go shoot the dome, I think I'll need three days of at least 65 degree weather, maybe this week...      
    ------------------------------------  Yahoo! Groups Links  <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/  <*> Your email settings:     Individual Email | Traditional  <*> To change settings online go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join     (Yahoo! ID required)  <*> To change settings via email:     mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com      mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com  <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:     papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com  <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/      


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___