Friday, February 27, 2009

Re: [papercreters] Re: Structural Insulated Panels

>In my opion papercrete would be structural as well as insulation. The factory made
>SIP's made with EPS are no more structural than papercrete would be, its the OSB
> that gives the sandwich its strength, the EPS or the Papercrete fills the void and
>assists with the structural and insulation value of the panels. I don't believe papercrete
> has nearly the insulation value of EPS but in the right mixture I believe it would beat
> EPS in strength, as illustrated by Clair with her bullet test.

There's another component to the strength of the SIP, the bond between the foam and the skin. If that EPS isn't well bonded to the OSB, I would expect it to have very little structural strength. Polyurethane foam can be cast in place, since it is naturally very sticky and expands, but EPS requires glue. That's another reason I wondered whether the PC panels should be made and dried before sticking the skins to them.

I don't know if you've experimented with papercrete poured into place yet, but I'm wondering how well it would bond with your skins. I do know it usually shrinks away from forms people use for making blocks, which would indicate to me that the bond isn't too strong, so I'd be interested to see how your experiments work out.

Greg


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/