Friday, February 27, 2009

[papercreters] Re: UG Dome

Sounds like a well thought out plan, Spaceman, I'm sure you planned
for the other sources of condensation (cooking and bathing). I hope
you'll post pictures to the photo section when they're available, and
any cost figures would also be much appreciated.

Are you going to be putting a membrane somewhere? Where, and what
material?

I guess UG PC will work in some places but not others. Being out in
the desert gives you options most of us don't have, it seems to me
that in wetter areas junk styrofoam and closed cell spray foam could
be used to make a thick insulation layer wherever tensile strength
isn't an issue.

Regards,

Dave

>Spaceman wrote:
Re: [papercreters] Re: UG Dome

Actually just re-read that page a few days ago. Yes, we'll be shooting
the outside.

Maintenance? What, like new shingles or paint?
Financing? None involved, this is a cash deal.
Lower energy use? Try none. 68 degrees is great for me, I won't modify
it at all. I do run a couple of 22w CF lights at night, and a confuzer
or two. My electric bill sometimes gets above $10 a month when I get
wasteful.
Condensation? Very low humidity area, and all incoming air will be
buffered through earth tubes to get ground temperature before entering
the dome. Any potential condensation should happen in the tubes
Seepage? The water table is 400 feet down and sugar sand drains well.
Resale? None planned, maybe my kids will get "stuck" with it.

A lot of planning has gone into this, and it's not like I haven't
built anything before. Not to mention several above ground domes that
I have made, I hold a general contractor license and have been in
construction for 35 years. David South and the monolithic crew have
made many successful domes, along with a few failures. I don't
consider them to be the final authority on anything, but they are a
good source of manufactured airforms. Their school is very interesting
with a lot of good information.

Spaceman


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/