Friday, February 27, 2009

[papercreters] Re: UG Dome

6" thick concrete would be like a bomb shelter, the monolithic guys
normally only use 2-1/2" - 3" and add an inch for deeply buried domes.
You're going to be shooting everything on from the outside,
ecoshell-style, right? What kind of membrane will you be putting over
the concrete or PC?

Keep an eye on the condensation issue;
http://static.monolithic.com/plan-design/belowgrade/index.html

To me, it seems like digging a huge hole and dealing with all the
potential headaches of any maintenance on an underground structure
would outweigh the benefits of lower energy use, especially given the
energy efficiency of an above ground dome.

Regards,

Dave


Spaceman wrote:

>Re: [papercreters] Re: UG Dome

The shell will be 6" of reinforced concrete with the top insulated
with papercrete. Sorry, not too clear in my first post. Of course, it
doesn't rain a lot here, average 8" per year and I have deep sugar
sand. This is fireproof construction and will not be filled with
flammable stuff, and I'm not in an area with an enforced code so no
federales in sight. I always build better than codes, which are
minimum standards. My water table is 400 feet down - I have had
papercrete in contact with the ground and partially buried for eight
years now with no adverse effects. I would not trust it to hold up
tons of sand. I think it will work fine as insulation for the part of
the dome that is closest to the surface of the ground. I probably
could get by with none, but I don't want any of the 108 degree summer
temperatures seeping in.

I think with the top skylight and windows by the door I'll have enough
light, and the fiber later will be for detailed work. Most of my work
is on computer anyway and computers supply their own light. It'll be
great for sleeping - nice temperature and no noise. Actually it won't
be much different from the dome I'm about to finish which has a window
above the door and a clerestory below the top pent. It has plenty of
light while the sun is up. With 12" of papercrete and solar hydronic
heating/cooling it should be almost as comfortable as the underground
dome.

Spaceman

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/