Thursday, February 26, 2009

[papercreters] Re: Airform Dome project update

I am planning to use the Mason Greenstar "Blox" mix. Their formula is
proprietary, so I don't know what it is. They make a bad ass block,
that's all I know.

If I can't get that soon enough, for the first dome I will go with a
mix I have been using lately; 25% portland 75% paper slurry (by
volume) with a variable amount of latex paint depending on the
location. For outer layers I will back off on the portland for greater
insulation, then on the outermost layer I will mix it harder again.

Any recommendations from the group? I am working out the last bugs in
my scaffolding system and will be shooting soon weather permitting.

Dave

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <criswells.ok@...> wrote:
>
>
> Hey Dave, what will be the formula of your mix? Once you have coated the
> whole dome, either on the inside or the outside, which ever you shoot
> first, will you have to leave the air blowers going until it drys to a
> point that you can turn them off and also will the dome be self
> supporting? Inquiring minds want to know! hee hee
>
> Bob
> In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <aquaponicdave@> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
> Getting very close to shooting the dome, still working out the last
> equipment issues. I have been messing around with a Graco texture
> sprayer, which seems to work pretty good (if I keep a close eye on the
> mix thickness).
>
> Video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMDYFV28eZs
>
> The Graco pump senses the airflow and automatically turns the PC pump on
> and off so all I have to do is operate the air valve. I tried to shoot
> some PC that was too thick and the PC jammed up a couple of orifices
> inside the pump, and after I tore it down and fixed that it's been fine.
> I can shoot some pretty thick stuff, see the other video
> for more on the pump setup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9YpN5Wd5Wo
>
> I can get it to stick to slippery vertical surfaces until it's a bit
> over 1/4" thick, so I'm hoping that will be good enough for the scratch
> coat. I'm just using cellulose insulation and portland cement
> so far, but I'll mess around with adding latex paint too soon, as well
> as shooting the Blox mix (which I need to go get now that the gun is
> ready).
>
> Speaking of the gun, I tried the Graco texture gun just for grins, and
> it couldn't handle the PC, it has a shutoff valve to stop the flow of
> texture material, and that would jam up with PC so I adapted my earlier
> design gun made from PVC plumbing pcs and it works fine (although it
> does slobber after I shut off the air, might add a ballvalve there
> eventually).
>
> So now I'm working on my scaffold system (another story there) and
> waiting for a good opportunity to go shoot the dome, I think I'll need
> three days of at least 65 degree weather, maybe this week...
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/