Saturday, November 14, 2009

Re: [papercreters] pulping magazines



I would add to Spaceman's good advice that there is a caveat: if you soak the papers (any) for longer than 3 days: it will begin to rot (mold).  Voice of experience here.  Where a little is good a lot is better does not apply in this case. 
Also Judith brought up a good point about the spines.  I subscribe to tons of advertisers (or they have found me somehow) and the catalogs with glued spines really make a mess of a tow mixer batch.  The towmixer will still thrash the paper up well, but there is invariably some that won't because the blades are covered with these 8" to 10" long pieces of rubber or plastic.  I have not done what I should and make my own schmitar shaped blade that may reduce the amount of stopping and cleaning of the blade every 100 yards or so down the driveway.  I actually added a step (pain and agony and delay) to my paper prep.  I have 2 bandsaws in my shop and I stack up the magazines with glued on backs and cut the 1/4" or so off the backs.  National Geographic got back at me though, as they put glue AND staples just outside the glue where I like to run the blade.  Careful with them for blade longevity.
Ron

From: Spaceman <Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net>

 

The more soaking the better, that drill will beat you up is it isn't soaked enough. Shredding first will make it easier, but still soak after shredding to make it easier.



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___