Saturday, March 29, 2008

[papercreters] PTO Mixer Photos sealing the vertical shaft - Drain Options


Hi Bob,

I designed the mixer with a friend of mine who is a welder and metal sculptor, and we probably went overboard, as we were having fun with the whole design process.  The drain we had designed was basically a 6" metal pipe, welded on to the back at an angle, with a custom-built knife gate valve at the end.

Unfortunately, my friend baled out on the project before the drain was complete, and before some of the other details were complete, such as trailer light frames, vertical shaft seal, and priming and painting the frame, etc., but that is another story...  Anyhow, as I'm anxious to use the mixer, I've been exploring other solutions for the drain.

The solution that appeals most to me is to install a 6" Valterra gate valve.  But at $270 that is out of the question.  Next option is a 4" Valterra gate valve, model 6401 ( http://www.valterra.com/Ind/Gate.htm) mounted on the bottom of the tank.  Much better at around $75, and will interconnect with slip-fit 4" PVC pipe, so I can direct the flow where I want by selecting different PVC sections.

The solution that appeals to me most, but I'm not sure is viable, is to use a Valterra 3" RV Waste Valve ( http://www.valterra.com/RV/bladex-valves.htm).  These are inexpensive, generally under $20, are easy to source, and have a variety of interconnection options, so I could attach a short section of flexble waste pipe to control where I want my papercrete.  The big question for me, is, am I going to find the 3" size is just too small??  Any ideas or recommendations?

Another solution that I've been drawn to is the elephant trunk drain devised by Martin Adams and shown in photos on his site:  http://www.makepapercrete.com/The-Papercrete-Tow-Mixer.html

His solution is basically to use about a third of a large inner tube, with a plywood door that closes and seals the tube shut for mixing.  I think it is an ingenious and low cost solution.  I also like the idea of draining out the bottom, as I think it will be easier to empty and clean the tank.  It also gives you some flexibility in controlling the direction of and quantity of your flow.  Also, because of the size of the tube, you'll probably be able to move a dryer mix and unload faster.  On the downside, there is a lot more custom work involved in the installation.

While Martin's solution looks very workable, the Valterra gate valve looks like a better, more elegant solution -- easier to work, adjustable flow rate, better seal, and the ability to interconnect with either RV waste hose (in the 3" size), or standard PVC fittings in the 4" size.  The downside to the Valterra gate valve is that more attention to cleaning will be required to keep it operational. 

Any thoughts on whether 3" will cut it?  Or is 4" the minimum?

Thanks!

Eric Randall
Fairfield, IA







At 12:29 AM 3/29/2008, you wrote:

Hi Eric;

Sure is a nice looking mixer........ it is the first I have seen with
so much attention to detail. Are you going to drain out the bottom or
side??

See Yaaaa.............. Bob

__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___