Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Re: [papercreters] Salvaged Centrifugal Pumps -was- Re: Mixer update

I'll do that. We do have a truck wrecking yard . . . and an auto wrecking
yard. I'll keep you posted as to my result . .

N

----- Original Message -----
From: "slurryguy" <slurryguy@yahoo.com>
To: <papercreters@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 8:34 AM
Subject: [papercreters] Salvaged Centrifugal Pumps -was- Re: Mixer update


> My curiosity just got the best of me.
>
> I just called a local regular old automotive salvage yard.
>
> Me: "Do you have any big centrifugal pumps that big tanker trucks use
> to fill their tanks?"
>
> Salvage Yard: "Lots of them. How big?"
>
> Me: "4 Inch?"
>
> S.Y.: Got several of those sitting on the shelf
>
> Me: "6 Inch?"
>
> S.Y.: "I think we have two on the shelf, let me check."
>
> Me: "How much those things run?"
>
> S.Y.: "$50-$150 depending on the size."
>
>
>
> I suggest calling your local yards to see what they have. Keep in
> mind that this is the PUMP ONLY, no engine or moter for powering it
> will be included.
>
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "slurryguy" <slurryguy@...>
> wrote:
> >
> > Do you have a local farm supply salvage yard? Heck, maybe even
> just
> > a commercial truck salvage yard.
> >
> > You might check there for some piece of dead equipment with a big
> > centrifugal pump attached to it.
> >
> > You could probably acquire just the pump assembly for a lot less
> than
> > your rental fees. Then you could come up with some way to power
> the
> > pump off your PTO also.
> >
> > You'd have plenty of power. You'd still need to buy hose, but
> that's
> > not nearly as expensive.
> >
> > If the pump and the mixer blade were powered off the PTO
> > simultaneously, you could turn the whole thing into a colloidal
> mixer
> > and a pumping system.
> >
> >
> > --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "ElfNori" <elf@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not going to be able to purchase, Mikey, I'm going to have to
> > rent. I will have to see what is available locally. If I can't
> > rent, I will dump the mix into the tractor's bucket (our mixer is
> up
> > high enough to do that) and dump from the bucket into the form. It
> > should take 4 or 5 bucket loads to get the mix into the form. I
> > don't like all the extra jockeying around we'll have to do, but if
> > that's what it takes, that's what it takes.
> > >
> > > We've got new near-neighbors, a really nice young Mormon couple
> > with a passle of really cute rug rats. Bear in mind, I am NOT a
> > children person. I'm more along the WC Fields "I like kids, they
> > taste like chicken" mindset, but these kids are cute. I digress.
> > They have horses but inadequate pasture and we have pasture and one
> > quite chubby horse, so they're using our pasture. As a result we
> see
> > them (rug rats in tow) fairly frequently. He's been watching the
> > progress of our mixer. On their visit last night, after inspecting
> > the progress and listening to me spout concept and theory, he
> offered
> > air bag suspension for our mixer. I declined his kind offer, but I
> > find the concept vastly amusing . . . a hot-rod pc mixer with
> > adjustable suspension.
> > >
> > > ElfN
> >
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>


----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 8.0.101 / Virus Database: 270.4.3/1529 - Release Date: 7/1/2008
7:23 PM


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/