Sunday, July 27, 2008

Re: [papercreters] Re: very fine paper pulp

Thanks, Susan for some really clear guidelines! It sure helps to hear what happens when you have too much or too little of something. I'm gonna print out your letter and keep it!
 
Pepper
 
----- Original Message -----
From: sryanart
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 12:02 PM
Subject: [papercreters] Re: very fine paper pulp

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "ngrdh" <hnegaard@...> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for suggestions on how to get a very finely ground
slurry paper pulp. I don't
> want the normal bumps and pieces that normal papercrete has; I'd
like it to be very smooth
> and finely chopped so you would not even know that it is paper.
>
Hello:

I was going to start with a more formal introduction--I am the Susan
Ryan who has been mentioned recently on this list--but I work with a
version of pulp that produces a clay that gives me a nice
hard,surface.

This is not, however, realistic for large quantities.

Very quickly--

1. I use torn newspaper--torn to about 2" by 2". Believe it or not,
size makes a difference. Movement in water helps to break down the
fibers smoothly. Shredded newspaper actually seems to take longer to
break down.

2. I cover the newspaper with water and soak 1-3 days.

3. I bring the newspaper water to a boil on the stove and then
(carefully) break it up into a smooth gray pulp (looks like gray,
fluffy cream of wheat) using a paint mixer attachment on an electric
drill. There can't be too much paper in the water or the newspaper
won't move properly and break down. Too much water, and it moves
around too much and doesn't break down easily either.

4. Once cooled, I slop a few handfulls at a time into a cotton dish
rag and twist it up to squeeze most of the water out.

5. To this semi-moist pulp I add: Elmers white glue and a little
vermiculite and then knead with my hands. Depending on the feel of
the clay, I can add a little more water, a little more glue, and/or a
little more vermiculite.

6. Once I have a clay that fels nice, I throw on a dusting of
portland cement and mix in with my hands. The grittiness of the
cement seems to help tear the fibers into a finer clay.

At least I think this is how I do it. :>) It's a lot like cooking...
I don't have a definitive recipe. I mix by feel and sight. The glue
makes the clay silky and workable, but too much makes it too stickly
to work. Too much water makes the clay too sloppy and results in too
much shrinkage. Too dry and the clay is unworkable. Vermiculite can
dry up clay that's too wet, but too much can make it lumpy.

Sometimes I add Plaster of Paris or Rock Hard water putty to the clay
and this gives me a finished product that has a nice, hard surface.
It can be sawed and sanded.

One critical element in getting a smooth finished surface is in
letting the clay dry more slowly (not direct heat--like with a lamp)
and in keeping the water content down.

A few years ago I found through the papercreters site and was
absolutely impressed and charmed by the wonderful structures you all
were building. That's when I decided to try adding portland cement to
my clay. All I had to go by was some comment from one of
the "builders" that it only takes a small amount of cement in the
slurry.

So, when I added cement to my clay I called it papercrete--for lack
of a better name. I hope this is OK and doesn't step on anyobody's
toes.

I messed around a little with papercrete because I was looking for
something that could hold up to being outside. Don't know if I got
that something or not. I am definitely still experimenting.

However, in regards to the birdbath I made out of papercrete--I used
a silicon-based exterior water sealer on it. Sealed the raw PC with
it and then applied coats of sealer with artists oils added to make
stains. It held up well through last summer, though some moisture was
wicked up through the feet, but not in any way that damaged either
finish of form. I took it in for the winter and put it back outside
recently.

Yes, I did worry about the birds taking water from something that was
sealed with this stuff, but I thought that once it had dried it would
not be a danger.

I am definitly no expert with papercrete. I have done a lot more work
with the regular paper pulp and know much more about that. But if I
can answer any questions, I'll be glad to give it a shot.

BTW. This is my first post. Ever--anywhere. So I hope I have not done
anything inappropriate.

Regards,
Susan

>


No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 270.5.6/1575 - Release Date: 7/26/2008 4:18 PM
__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___