Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Re: [papercreters] Re: Finally did it

Actually my total experience with a high pressure washer was the few minutes when Curtis stopped by a few years back and let me play with his washer. I was impressed with the speed and ease, and the thought of a smaller portable container placed right next to the work site appealed to me. I plan on a drum with a large gate valve, placed on a cart so I can move it next to the slip forms, mix, and dump without having to use a bucket or pump at all, just a simple chute.

My lack of personal experience is balanced by the number of stories I've heard. Last fall my ex was spray washing a deck and managed to take several square inches of skin off her foot (sandals! : ( ). Curtis had warned me to NEVER rinse your hands or clothes with the sprayer. Also I have read about using the 0deg tip to cut wood, and I know my skin isn't nearly as tough as wood. I wear safety glasses any time I'm working, you only get one set of eyes.

It'll be a few days before I can get started, I am busy right now prepping my parent's house for sale and then I have to go to Houston this weekend for a meeting. I'll be back home mid week, and then I will be able to start production. One thing I plan to try is putting the drum on top of the dome so I don't have to lift anything except the empty drum and the spray wand. I'll let you know how that works out.

The best thing is that I can continue to procrastinate about fixing the large no-tow mixer. I could have built a new one for less than the sprayer cost, but I think I made a good choice. I will use a lot less gasoline, and a lot less labor. Over time that will pay back the investment.

Spaceman

Ernie Phelps wrote:

Congrats, Spaceman!  You may have worked with a powerful pressure washer before, but just in case...  1. As you mentioned, ALWAYS wear safety glasses. Mine can throw rocks 15' and it is only a 2800 psi. 2. Be VERY careful what you point this at. With a turbo nozzle (a spinning 0 degree spray) I can easily etch concrete. The salesman who had the same model I have says that he cut a 2x4 in half to show a friend how powerful it was. 3. Always have water on before you get started and run it some after you have shut it off. Most of these are a combo of water and air cooled, so you help cool it by running some through it after a job.  It will pulp paper fast and furious. If you have one person pulping and a second putting into a concrete mixer and mixing, the person mixing will get behind pretty quickly. Looks like you discovered the rest already, rewashing the cars, self, dogs, house or anything else in a 20' radius when you are done. =)  Have fun with it and update us on how the mix is compared to other methods.  - Ernie   ------------------------------------  Yahoo! Groups Links  <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/  <*> Your email settings:     Individual Email | Traditional  <*> To change settings online go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join     (Yahoo! ID required)  <*> To change settings via email:     mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com      mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com  <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:     papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com  <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/    No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com  Version: 8.0.138 / Virus Database: 270.5.4/1567 - Release Date: 7/22/2008 4:05 PM      
__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___