Wednesday, July 2, 2008

[papercreters] Salvaged Centrifugal Pumps -was- Re: Mixer update

My curiosity just got the best of me.

I just called a local regular old automotive salvage yard.

Me: "Do you have any big centrifugal pumps that big tanker trucks use
to fill their tanks?"

Salvage Yard: "Lots of them. How big?"

Me: "4 Inch?"

S.Y.: Got several of those sitting on the shelf

Me: "6 Inch?"

S.Y.: "I think we have two on the shelf, let me check."

Me: "How much those things run?"

S.Y.: "$50-$150 depending on the size."

I suggest calling your local yards to see what they have. Keep in
mind that this is the PUMP ONLY, no engine or moter for powering it
will be included.


--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "slurryguy" <slurryguy@...>
wrote:
>
> Do you have a local farm supply salvage yard? Heck, maybe even
just
> a commercial truck salvage yard.
>
> You might check there for some piece of dead equipment with a big
> centrifugal pump attached to it.
>
> You could probably acquire just the pump assembly for a lot less
than
> your rental fees. Then you could come up with some way to power
the
> pump off your PTO also.
>
> You'd have plenty of power. You'd still need to buy hose, but
that's
> not nearly as expensive.
>
> If the pump and the mixer blade were powered off the PTO
> simultaneously, you could turn the whole thing into a colloidal
mixer
> and a pumping system.
>
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "ElfNori" <elf@> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not going to be able to purchase, Mikey, I'm going to have to
> rent. I will have to see what is available locally. If I can't
> rent, I will dump the mix into the tractor's bucket (our mixer is
up
> high enough to do that) and dump from the bucket into the form. It
> should take 4 or 5 bucket loads to get the mix into the form. I
> don't like all the extra jockeying around we'll have to do, but if
> that's what it takes, that's what it takes.
> >
> > We've got new near-neighbors, a really nice young Mormon couple
> with a passle of really cute rug rats. Bear in mind, I am NOT a
> children person. I'm more along the WC Fields "I like kids, they
> taste like chicken" mindset, but these kids are cute. I digress.
> They have horses but inadequate pasture and we have pasture and one
> quite chubby horse, so they're using our pasture. As a result we
see
> them (rug rats in tow) fairly frequently. He's been watching the
> progress of our mixer. On their visit last night, after inspecting
> the progress and listening to me spout concept and theory, he
offered
> air bag suspension for our mixer. I declined his kind offer, but I
> find the concept vastly amusing . . . a hot-rod pc mixer with
> adjustable suspension.
> >
> > ElfN
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/