Monday, July 7, 2008

[papercreters] Re: Sewage Grinder Pump - PC Mixer/Pump

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "ElfNori" <elf@...> wrote:
> Hammermilled paper and a mortar mixer are certainly an option. You
> can mix a dryer mix that way. There's a mortar mixer down the road I
> may want to play with in that fashion. I could use it for the little
> batches I need that have to be structural OR for plastering.

Just to clarify (for others, I suspect Nori already knows this),
concrete mixer <> mortar mixer.

A mortar mixer can do a fine job of mixing concrete, but over the long
term the aggregate in it will ruin the paddles. Your standard concrete
mixer does a poor job of mixing mortar.

I use a mortar mixer (with the rubber paddles removed) to mix
papercrete. I presoak newspaper and add shredded office paper (not
presoaked) to the mix with no problems. The newspaper pulps ALOT
easier, but it will all pulp eventually. I pulp first, then add cement
afterwords and let the mix ruminate for 5-10 minutes to get it
distributed.

This method works fine, but it is not nearly as fast as the tow mixers
other folks on the list work with. The mortar mixer ran me $300 used
on Craig's list, it has an 8hp Honda engine that has needed about $40
in work so far (mostly a carb cleaning). I have also put a decent bit
of elbow grease and $10 in metal primer into it. And I am buying new
tires for it this week which will set me back about $60. So in the end
for someone with no welding skills or access to a welder it is pretty
economical.

As another option for folks, I also use a one bag cement mixer to mix
papercrete and pulp my own paper with a pressure washer and a turbo
nozzle. This works fine and is (IMO) much safer and faster than the
bucket method.

- Ernie


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/