Monday, July 7, 2008

[papercreters] Personal Value and Paper Choice -was- Re: Sewage Grinder Pump - PC Mixer/Pump

I get your point. You're saying that using prechopped paper is
easier and/or faster and/or more economical. I'd like to
RESPECTFULLY disagree.

Philosophically:
Your original post commented, "Unless your time is worth nothing to
you you can buy your paper shredded..."

There is a huge difference between the value I place on MY time
compared to the value OTHERS place upon my time. I refuse to allow
the purchase price of a commodity to be a measuring tool for my self
worth. Yes, I realize that philosophy wasn't the issue of your post,
but I think this is a very imporant point. I build many things.
Sometimes they are better than what can be purchased. Sometimes
worse. I always value my own work higher than anything similar I've
ever purchased.

This doesn't mean I don't run down to the local Big Box Store and buy
stuff. Sure I do. Sometimes it's not a big deal to me who made the
item I need. Sometimes I buy the cheapest available. Sometimes I
reasearch and buy the absolute highest quality that I can find for an
item. Sometimes I endeavor to buy from locally owned stores. None
of this determines the value I place on my own time. The price of a
purchased item is determined by what the market is willing to pay.
If I link my worth to that price, I'm effectively allowing a bunch of
strangers making their own individual decisions to determine what I
think of myself. UNACCEPTABLE!

Okay... I got that out of my system... now back to your point. hehehe

Economically:
Don't be fooled by a false economy. Mixing papercrete from
prechopped paper in a concrete mixer may likely take as long if not
longer than mixing papercrete from unchopped paper in a blender style
mixer that can mix the cement and other ingredients AT THE SAME TIME
that it is chopping the paper!

If you are thinking about renting a massive concrete mixer, you'll
need to include not only the cost of the prechopped paper, but the
rental cost of the large equipment, and the wages of the people
required to operate it. I assure you that their time is worth more
than "nothing."

Control:
Additionally, many may not desire to have the additives in insulation
or other chopped paper products in their papercrete. Chopping your
own paper allows more control of the ingredients.

Ecologically:
Some people may choose to chop paper that will not get recycled
otherwise. Pre-chopped paper for insulation will likely be purchased
by someone eventually and used for insulation somewhere whether I
purchase it or not. Many people value doing their part for the
environament and removing things from the waste stream.

Choice:
I'm not trying to tell anyone how to choose paper. If someone wants
to choose prechopped insulation for their papercrete, that is their
choice. Everyone must make the decisions that make sense for their
own personal situation. It's always good to have options.

My point is that just because someone chooses to chop their own
paper, it doesn't mean they are devaluing their own effort or
themselves. It's does not necessarily mean that they are wasting
time. In fact I think it's likely to be economically favorable in
many if not most situations. Whether someone agrees or disagrees
with either of us. It's just a different choice.


Fun:
I do like your last line, Les. No matter what choices we make for
paper. I hope everyone has FUN with it!

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "austintexican" <les@...> wrote:
>
> I think you missed my point. if you buy your paper pre shredded you
> don't need a papercrete mixer. Any cement mixer will work, you can
> even mix it in a pile on a tarp like mixing 'cob'.
>
> Unless your time is worth nothing to you you can buy your paper
shredded
> from True Value Hardware and rent a cement mixer for a weekend and
end
> up spending less than doing it all yourself.
>
> http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-72006/Detail
>
> I know this is like suggesting you buy your fish frozen instead of
> buying a bass boat....
> "the only difference between men and boys, is the price of their
toys."
> :)
> Have FUN. Les
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/