Tuesday, July 15, 2008

[papercreters] Re: is this normal?

I was making the assumption that someone was actually living inside
the papercrete. You got me there Ernie.

If someone has an application where mold doesn't matter, and
freeze/thaw cycles won't break it up, then water won't matter much.
I think those applications are rare.

In fact. Could this type of application be considered unusual?
Maybe even... (gasp) ... "abnormal"???

hehehe

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Ernie Phelps" <eepjr24@...>
wrote:
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "slurryguy" <slurryguy@> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > 8. Normal papercrete even when mixed and handled properly, does
> > not handle moisture well. Some recipes handle water better than
> > others, but it's never a good practice to expose unprotected
> > papercrete to water for long periods of time. It's asking for
> > problems.
>
> I agree with all of your points except this one. If you are not
going
> to be LIVING in it, I don't see a problem with PC being exposed to
> rewetting. It may develop mold, but I have not noticed breakdown yet
> except in cases where I used a sparing amount of cement (20 percent
or
> so). Otherwise, my experiment with PC as a weed barrier is working
> quite nicely, in constant contact with ground below and marble chips
> above.
>
> I do find that rewetting soon after a pour (same or next day)
greatly
> extends the drying time. And rewetting or movement too soon makes it
> prone to breaking apart. Tamping (my very crude compression and
> smoothing mechanism) seems to improve strength.
>
> The end is actually in sight finally for my weed barrier project.
Once
> that is done I hope I can play with my PC sprayer and get the shed
> stucco'd with a nice latex PC mix.
>
> Anyone else nearing the end of a project or stage of one?
>
> - Ernie
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/