Tuesday, July 15, 2008

[papercreters] Re: is this normal?

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "slurryguy" <slurryguy@...> wrote:
<snip>

> 8. Normal papercrete even when mixed and handled properly, does
> not handle moisture well. Some recipes handle water better than
> others, but it's never a good practice to expose unprotected
> papercrete to water for long periods of time. It's asking for
> problems.

I agree with all of your points except this one. If you are not going
to be LIVING in it, I don't see a problem with PC being exposed to
rewetting. It may develop mold, but I have not noticed breakdown yet
except in cases where I used a sparing amount of cement (20 percent or
so). Otherwise, my experiment with PC as a weed barrier is working
quite nicely, in constant contact with ground below and marble chips
above.

I do find that rewetting soon after a pour (same or next day) greatly
extends the drying time. And rewetting or movement too soon makes it
prone to breaking apart. Tamping (my very crude compression and
smoothing mechanism) seems to improve strength.

The end is actually in sight finally for my weed barrier project. Once
that is done I hope I can play with my PC sprayer and get the shed
stucco'd with a nice latex PC mix.

Anyone else nearing the end of a project or stage of one?

- Ernie


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/