Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Re: [papercreters] Ed Conley - Project Photos / Followup Mail

It sounds to me more like he's saying he felt like he got screwed by some self-proclaimed "expert".

Like I said in another post, I'd like to get the whole story. Sounds like there were issues with subcontractors, financing, deadlines, and other things that could easily have gone wrong in ANY owner-builder type construction project, not exclusive to the papercrete material.

Greg

----- Original Message ----
From: Gero Bazant <gero.bazant@gmail.com>
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 8, 2008 5:55:50 AM
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Ed Conley - Project Photos / Followup Mail

There's one sentence that just jumped right into my face:

"I still believe papercrete is a viable product and worthy of further development when properly manufactured blocks are used, and built with proven methods, not some renegade, stubborn insistence of opinion based on buildings completed in areas not subject to building codes or bank financing."

In a way he's saying that our attempts to learn from each other aren't sufficient -- more so, the current state of knowledge in how to manufacture PC blocks is insufficient to build a structure at all? This is rather discouraging. Or was he referring to the advice he personally received?

Would anybody with some experience comment on this?

Thanks,

Gero


On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 04:42, Mikey Sklar <sklarm-yahoo@ screwdecaf. cx> wrote:
<snip>

Mikey,
Sorry for the delayed response, but I just returned from Arizona and am trying to catch up on email.
Money is the main problem, however; the prospect of having to continually repair the defective papercrete is daunting. Even if I had an extra $10,000 , I would still be strapped since I still have to repay personal loans made to me to keep the project going.
True, I could have fixed the electrical defects, but judging the slow response and lack of interest on the part of the people that were supposed to finish the job, could have been several weeks away. Meantime, my building loan is delinquent and now showing up on my credit report and would only accumulate more interest until I got a final certification. Then there were several finish details that were either poorly done or not finished that would be required for the bank to grant the final funding.
Quite frankly, I lost heart in the entire matter especially considering the physical pain I experience all day and the frustration of not having any help in completing things. Really a catch 22 since no money would be available until completion, yet no work could be done without money. I did what I could in my limited capacity to complete things, but became very frustrated when many of my tools were missing and at one point couldn't even measure things, or cut materials.
I would show up early in the morning waiting for the promised help, only to sit all day with no word from anyone,and occasionally someone would show up when I was burned out and ready to go home.
So, in spite of attempting to remain present, the entire state of affairs chipped away at my patience and desire to continue.
It is truly a tragic outcome, since it wasn't just about me having a house, but meant to be a showpiece for papercrete. Unfortunately it will probably be an example of a well intended but poorly executed project subject to the opportunism of several people.
I still believe papercrete is a viable product and worthy of further development when properly manufactured blocks are used, and built with proven methods, not some renegade, stubborn insistence of opinion based on buildings completed in areas not subject to building codes or bank financing.
Tragically, it will now be very hard for someone to obtain a conventional loan for a similar project and will reduce the likelihood of many lower income people the chance for home ownership.
I hope that my mistakes will be a catalyst for standardization and some sort of association, certification or something to assure quality control of products and methods used in the future.
As for me,I will take my lumps, to the tune of over $30,000 in personal loss not to mention the potential humiliation and ridicule coming from the traditional building industry, and the loss of a few friends.
For now, I will be relegated to renting, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Thanks again for your support and concerns.
Ed  

<snip>


__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___