Monday, July 7, 2008

[papercreters] Personal Value and Paper Choice -was- Re: Sewage Grinder Pump - PC Mixer/Pump

I drive a truck because I'm too lazy to work and too nervous to steal.
I am Semi-Retired. I drive a company truck and they buy all the fuel.
I get to do what I love to do.... travel. I do over 150,000 miles a year
coast to coast. And I do it in a new $100,000 truck making $200 a day.
I don't pay any rent, or utilities.... I'm a truck-dweller. I love my
job and would rather be driving than just about anything. I listen to
what ever I want too all day and night... and stop and take a nap
whenever I want. I spent over 35 years doing construction work but never
got the kind of satisfaction from it you seem to enjoy. I want to work
smarter, not harder. If using processed paper didn't make economical
sense I don't think Mason Greenstar would be doing it. I'm also
convinced it may produce a superior product. I've done many self
sufficiency projects from organic farming to mud bricks to burning my
own lime. Now that I'm a little older, I don't mind eating at McDonalds
or drinking milk out of a carton instead of a cow. I will never burn my
own lime again and don't have a problem with buying my recycled paper
pre shredded. Maybe more people would get their feet wet with
papercrete if it wasn't so much like reinventing the wheel. I just
bought a little lot in East Texas and plan to build a small cabin as a
hermitage. Keep up the good work, Les
--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "slurryguy" <slurryguy@...> wrote:
>
> I get your point. You're saying that using prechopped paper is
> easier and/or faster and/or more economical. I'd like to
> RESPECTFULLY disagree.
>
> Philosophically:
> Your original post commented, "Unless your time is worth nothing to
> you you can buy your paper shredded..."
>
> There is a huge difference between the value I place on MY time
> compared to the value OTHERS place upon my time. I refuse to allow
> the purchase price of a commodity to be a measuring tool for my self
> worth. Yes, I realize that philosophy wasn't the issue of your post,
> but I think this is a very imporant point. I build many things.
> Sometimes they are better than what can be purchased. Sometimes
> worse. I always value my own work higher than anything similar I've
> ever purchased.
>
> This doesn't mean I don't run down to the local Big Box Store and buy
> stuff. Sure I do. Sometimes it's not a big deal to me who made the
> item I need. Sometimes I buy the cheapest available. Sometimes I
> reasearch and buy the absolute highest quality that I can find for an
> item. Sometimes I endeavor to buy from locally owned stores. None
> of this determines the value I place on my own time. The price of a
> purchased item is determined by what the market is willing to pay.
> If I link my worth to that price, I'm effectively allowing a bunch of
> strangers making their own individual decisions to determine what I
> think of myself. UNACCEPTABLE!
>
> Okay... I got that out of my system... now back to your point. hehehe
>
> Economically:
> Don't be fooled by a false economy. Mixing papercrete from
> prechopped paper in a concrete mixer may likely take as long if not
> longer than mixing papercrete from unchopped paper in a blender style
> mixer that can mix the cement and other ingredients AT THE SAME TIME
> that it is chopping the paper!
>
> If you are thinking about renting a massive concrete mixer, you'll
> need to include not only the cost of the prechopped paper, but the
> rental cost of the large equipment, and the wages of the people
> required to operate it. I assure you that their time is worth more
> than "nothing."
>
> Control:
> Additionally, many may not desire to have the additives in insulation
> or other chopped paper products in their papercrete. Chopping your
> own paper allows more control of the ingredients.
>
> Ecologically:
> Some people may choose to chop paper that will not get recycled
> otherwise. Pre-chopped paper for insulation will likely be purchased
> by someone eventually and used for insulation somewhere whether I
> purchase it or not. Many people value doing their part for the
> environament and removing things from the waste stream.
>
> Choice:
> I'm not trying to tell anyone how to choose paper. If someone wants
> to choose prechopped insulation for their papercrete, that is their
> choice. Everyone must make the decisions that make sense for their
> own personal situation. It's always good to have options.
>
> My point is that just because someone chooses to chop their own
> paper, it doesn't mean they are devaluing their own effort or
> themselves. It's does not necessarily mean that they are wasting
> time. In fact I think it's likely to be economically favorable in
> many if not most situations. Whether someone agrees or disagrees
> with either of us. It's just a different choice.
>
>
> Fun:
> I do like your last line, Les. No matter what choices we make for
> paper. I hope everyone has FUN with it!
>
>
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "austintexican" les@ wrote:
> >
> > I think you missed my point. if you buy your paper pre shredded you
> > don't need a papercrete mixer. Any cement mixer will work, you can
> > even mix it in a pile on a tarp like mixing 'cob'.
> >
> > Unless your time is worth nothing to you you can buy your paper
> shredded
> > from True Value Hardware and rent a cement mixer for a weekend and
> end
> > up spending less than doing it all yourself.
> >
> > http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-72006/Detail
> >
> > I know this is like suggesting you buy your fish frozen instead of
> > buying a bass boat....
> > "the only difference between men and boys, is the price of their
> toys."
> > :)
> > Have FUN. Les
> >
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/