Monday, August 27, 2007

[papercreters] Rocky, Wooded Slope -was- Re: What are you building with Papercrete?

Actually the Rocky, Wooded slope was what I had mentioned, not Brian,
but no biggie.

<handing Pepper a napkin for the drool>

I don't know if it's worth drooling over yet. The vision of the
site's potenial is drool worthy, but the time/expense/effort to get
to that point will NOT be trivial. Unless/until the county approves
my proposed residential construction and building method the project
won't happen there. The county is taking its own sweet time about
things. You'd think they'd jump at the chance to charge higher
taxes. The site will have enough challenges without having to fight
the government too. The beauty of the situation is that if they
don't approve what I want to do, I'm not forced to buy the land. I'm
not so attached to that site that I've stopped searching for other
interesting sites. If the county isn't willing to work with me on
that site, I'm happy to walk away and go elsewhere. If they don't
want my tax money I'll take it somewhere else.

Building a road and digging out for the foundation will be no small
tasks. It won't be easy to use heavy equipment at the construction
site. I saw a tiny tracked walk behind skid steer the other day on
the boob tube. Something like that might be ideal, at least at
first. If it can handle the slope well, it might make things easier,
especially initially. It would be nice to excavate without
destroying the natural beauty that exists.

One idea I've had is to take advantage of the slope wherever I can.
It seems gravity might help in papercrete production. I want to drop
raw materials near the top of the slope and have various stages
happen at places further down. There will be at least some block
production needed. I envision dumping newspaper somewhere up high
and having the lightwight dry blocks come out further down. The site
doesn't lend itself well to the techniques Judith and Mike McCain are
using where they pour blocks on flat ground. It's possible that type
of activity could happen on the proposed new road, but I'd need to
discuss it with the farmer that currently owns the property. The
access road will be used by him as well. He might not like having
his tractor or combine impeded by a bunch of blocks. If I have a
stationary mixer located above the building site, it shouldn't
require much of a papercrete pump hose it down to the site. I'd also
rather be wheelbarrowing who knows what materials downhill than
uphill.

I have flashbacks to some scenes Wile E. Coyote encountered on some
hills. How many times did he go off the end of that cliff?

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Pepper" <pepperh@...> wrote:
>
> Brian, your proposed building site sounds heavenly!! As soon as you
> said rocky and heavily wooded, I drooled with envy. Don't let the
> stupid county stop you!
>
> Pepper
>
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, anonymous <ok_fine@> wrote:
> >
> > I found my dream property Saturday while home searching. It had
> gardens
> > in the low river valley, the high ground had gardens, buildings,
> > meditation huts, an apple orchard, statues here and there; was
like a
> > serene painting. Only one catch....it's a monastery.
> > ~Brian
>



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/