Thursday, August 30, 2007

[papercreters] Re: sawductcrete & granite

On Aug 30, 2007, at 2:07 AM, PAT wrote:

I have an endless, FREE, source of wood chips/sawdust. Using the wood
chips/sawdust I won't have to have a fancy mixer..just a good HF cement
mixer. So maybe it's not what I'm building with papercrete, it's what
I'm
building with fibercrete.

VOILA!! this is the magic secret I have shared with people for 9
years... sawdust is already ground up, can have shredded paper added,
or NOT, and makes a wonderful healthy free insulating wall filler,
block, brick, plaster, etc.
I am converting my entire old horse barn- circa 1910 -made of solid
redwood with no insulation, into walls filed with various mixes of
sawdustcrete- with just clay- lime and sawdust, I add fibers too,
since sawdust is so small. so far I love it. sand is not needed, and
keeps it a light, more insulative mix. ( I put all this info receipes
and pics on a folder inside the CDs I offers
here is a pic of the cast blocks I made with the same recipe-

http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com/dicd.html

so USE whatcha' got!

the book by Bob LaPorte-" EcoNest" replaces his little Mooseprints
booklet, and has stunning pics of whole homes done with the wall
infill of chopped straw and clay- with lime plasters, and clay
plasters righ over it.

this is similar, but easier, and most people have ore access to
sawdust nearby than straw bales anyway. Desert folk have office
paper but no straw or wood. so use whatcha' got.

GRANITE
With all the tons of polished granite leftovers I am getting I can
make granite windowsills for my entire house, and enough tables, and
walkways, and floors, countertops etc to sink the house by weight alone
six inches into the ground.. haha.

I am going to be offering granite sill soon, for sale, and other
smaller pieces, and Mosaic Kits- enough pieces to make a table top by
size..cheap.. just to help others have access to the materials.

Look up the yellow pages in your area, and see who has a FAB shop
doing this.. it may be a person, or an off shoot of a plumbing shop,
supply store, stone/gravel provider. the leftovers are huge perfect
pieces you can cut and use in many ways. Even if they charge you a few
bucks to haul it off.. be nice.. that is 'gold' you are getting that
will last much longer than wood for building projects!

I got some long pale green heavily veined granite pieces yesterday
that is going into a fancy home with an All Asian theme. I can use
these long strips as a mantle over the door entry on the work
studio or even as the trim board along the front of the porch roof.
I would split a long curved pole I found in the woods and tie on with
leather strips to the granite. for an artsy look.

There is a perfect circle** cut thru on one end that you can hang a
wind chime thru, or other art, like a string of sea shells, /bird
feeder, etc.

the perfect circles are drill holes where the dynamite blast holes are
cut into the rockwall. This particular granite came from Italy by way
of China where they prep granite by the mass ton. interesting business
of how the natural granite from deep in India, Brazil or Europe gets
yo your kitchen counter!


Charmaine Taylor Publishing
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com

www.papercrete.com
PO BOX 375 CUTTEN CA 95534 USA
Tel: 707-441-1632 11-4 PST