Wednesday, August 29, 2007

[papercreters] Mobile Home retrofit

Back when we were discussing retrofitting building, Charmaine sent me a few links for the Larsen-Truss System where you can add a light-weight truss system onto a 2x4 (or 2x6 or whatever) existing walls to make a cavity for filling with insulation (papercrete, fibercement, conventional insulation, whatever).  You might want to check out

 

http://books.google.com/books?id=fUU2J7baNh0C&pg=PA100&lpg=PA100&dq=ladder+truss+larsen&source=web&ots=WDVupk1E38&sig=Vcju_7CTfoIvYFm3zG3znmtF-mg#PPA27,M1

HERE IS THE TINY URL VERSION of the big one above >> http://tinyurl.com/39m6km

Scroll down several pages to Larsen truss-- it is a copyright book excerpt so you can’t print or save the info, just read it

http://www.greenfret.com/house/larsen.html

http://puttingdownroots.blogspot.com/2006/10/larsen-truss.html

 

 

I’m doing basically the same thing you are with a few extra projects. ;)   The only concern expressed by a builder friend about using the Larsen-Truss System on the roof of the mobile home was that the walls of a mobile home were not designed to support any more weight on the roof than the aluminum roll-roofing that it already has.  The solution we came up with was to build a pole barn shell around the mobile home and support the roof with the pole barn instead of the 2x3 ½ walls of the mobile home.  I’ll use the Larsen-Truss System on the walls since all it will be giving is a little vertical support.  I plan to pour concrete footers under where the Larsen-Trusses are attached to the exterior walls of the mobile home so the weight of the 10” thick fiber cement walls will be supported.  I still haven’t decided about using a vapor barrier between the fiber cement walls and the siding of the mobile home… the siding is primed & painted wooden siding.  If I put a vapor barrier between the siding & the fiber cement and the siding should somehow get wet (roof springs a leak) the siding would never dry out would it?  The mix I’ll use has a high percentage of lime & clay with a lime plaster coat.  I’ll have a wrap-around porch at least 8’ wide so the walls will have very little, if any, exposure to rain.  I’m in South-Central TX so we have very little cold weather to worry about here…..like about 2 weeks worth…but the heat & humidity combination is brutal so we are more concerned about cooling here than heating.  Shading the walls with a wrap-around porch works really helps.

 

I did have an old building on the property that I was going to try to save but after talking it over with a few guys here on the list and a few more guys around here who know a lot more about building than I do I decided to tear it down and use what lumber & windows that I could to add on to the mobile home.  What I’d *really* like to do is build several projects to show the hubby that yes, we *can* build for less than $100/sq’, move the mobile home to the back of the property to live in while we build a regular house, then retrofit the mobile home and rent it out with about an acre.  Or maybe provide a place to live for someone in exchange for help around the place.  Just thinking out loud here…. ;)

 

Anyway, good luck!  Hope I’ve given you an idea or two.

 

Pat Scott

 


From: papercreters@yahoogroups.com [mailto:papercreters@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of daleandbren
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 6:52 PM
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [papercreters] Re: What are you building with Papercrete?

 

I plan to start my first pc building very soon. I have a single wide
mobilehome, I am adding a two bedroom addition, framed floor and roof,
pc walls and floor, metal roof. After that is finished, I plan to build
pc walls around the mobile, framed roof over it, pc panels for roof. I
am building my mixer, 2x4 round metal tank, I decided to try using a
20hp twin cyl engine off a riding mower. Tell me what yall think. We
are in north central Arkansas, any body on here close by?

__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___