Friday, August 31, 2007

[papercreters] Re: Sawcrete

Great post Pat. Yes I read it all, and you left me still hungry for
more info. Well done. Please keep us posted.

I think with my long diatribes putting everyone to sleep, an
occasional long post from you will be a breath of fresh air to
everyone. Keep it up. :) hehehe

I'm sure that I used cement in my sample. I can't recall if I would
have used clay, flyash, and/or sand. I would have had all those
ingredients on hand at the time I did it (several years ago). Your
use of lime make sense to me. It ought to make the mix more sticky
and "gluey" helping the slurry hold together better. I doubt I would
have had any lime in my samples.

I find myself wondering about taking waste cedar from old fences or
whatnot and chopping/grinding it up. It might make a fantastic
plaster for the inside of closets. A budget cedar closet! Should
smell great too.


--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Pat" <trax78245@...> wrote:
>
> The samples I've made so far I've been impressed with..they're just
> sawdust/chips, lime, & clay. I want to experiment some more and
add some
> latex paint to make the color of the mix a little lighter. The
clay I have
> is almost black and it makes the blocks very dark.kindof an icky
gray. It
> probably won't matter what color the mix is because I'm going to
plaster
> over it with a lime-base plaster anyway but I'm thinking the paint
will make
> it a little smoother and easier to pump into the slip forms.
>
>
>
> I keep thinking of the TONS of mix I'll have to make and the time
it'll take
> for each mix.I'm wondering if a cement company would rent a cement
truck out
> by the day or the week. Have the forms ready on *everything* you
want to
> build and pour one lift at a time on everything.wait until the next
weekend
> and pour another lift. Hmmm..maybe I'll call around and see if I
can rent a
> cement truck. It'd save time mixing batches and it seems from what
little
> bit I've been playing with papercrete and sawcrete that it takes the
> sawcrete a little longer to set up and dry out. Maybe it would set
up
> faster if I put some Portland in it? Or would that make it
crumbly? Maybe
> the book I got from Charmaine awhile back about lime will tell
me.or the
> next few bucks I get I'll order her CD.I tell ya', Charmaine is a
handy lady
> to have around when somebody has a question about stuff. Chances
are if she
> doesn't know she knows where we can find out. ;)
>
>
>
> I got the same result you did when I used just Portland, a little
sand, and
> the wood chips/sawdust. But it seems like the lime and clay make a
BIG
> difference. Maybe I can use the lime, Portland, and clay instead of
> sand..I'll have to check it out when it cools off a bit. Or,
instead of
> trying to reinvent the wheel, I could get Charmain's CD. ;)
>
>
>
> I'm really kindf thinking "out loud" and if anybody has to add,
chime in! ;)
>
>
>
> A half bucket of pulped paper huh? Hmmm..probably could pulp a
bucket of
> paper with an old saw blade attached to a long drill bit on a heavy-
duty
> drill? I'll have to go back into the archives to see what-all is
used to
> make a small mixer.
>
>
>
> I'll let cha' know when what happens.but it won't be anytime
soon.it doesn't
> usually cool off here until sometime in the middle of October or
> November.but then, I'm usually still picking tomatoes out of the
garden at
> Christmas. ;) That reminds me. I've been meaning to post the plans
for the
> aviary/greenhouse/guest cottage and get some feedback from folks.
I'll try
> to do that this afternoon.
>
>
>
> If you've made it this far through this ramble, you patience is
amazing and
> greatly appreciated. ;)
>
>
>
> Pat
>
>
>
> _____
>
> From: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:papercreters@yahoogroups.com] On
> Behalf Of slurryguy
> Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:47 PM
> To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [papercreters] Sawcrete -was- Re: What are you building
with
> Papercrete?
>
>
>
> Subtle? Subtle? Where's my dictionary. I gotta look that one up!
> hehehe
>
> It makes sense to use what you've got.
>
> In the multitudes of experiments I've run with sawdust (TWO WHOLE
> MINI SAMPLES! hehe), My preliminary discoveries indicated it's not
as
> strong as papercrete. Crumbly. That sample size is hardly
> conclusive on anything. I may not have had the ideal mix ratio for
> sawcrete. I'd guess that the sawdust particle size can make a
> difference too. I did it so long ago I don't even remember what I
> did. It was an off the cuff experiment and I didn't write down the
> details. The second sample was a mix of sawdust and paper and it
> performed drastically better.
>
> My very subjective guess tells me that adding even a half bucket of
> pulped paper to a concrete mixer full of sawdust could make a
> dramatic difference. Food for thought.
>
> You almost certainly have way more experience working with sawcrete
> than I do. You probably have a much better idea what mix to use and
> where to use it. Please educate all of us!
>
> --- In papercreters@ <mailto:papercreters%40yahoogroups.com>
> yahoogroups.com, "Pat" <trax78245@> wrote:
> >
> > SG, you're so subtle with your hints ;)
> >
> >
> >
> > Ok, I have to admit that I'm going to cheat a bit...I'm not going
> to use
> > paper..but the methods of papercrete and the recipes are
basically
> the same.
> > I have an endless, FREE, source of wood chips/sawdust. Using the
> wood
> > chips/sawdust I won't have to have a fancy mixer..just a good HF
> cement
> > mixer. So maybe it's not what I'm building with papercrete, it's
> what I'm
> > building with fibercrete.
> >
> >
> >
> > In order, plans are for:
> >
> >
> >
> > 1) Build a 6' x 6' x 6' high dog house (I have BIG dogs) ;)
> using
> > slip-form with rock facing so it looks like a rock dog house.
> >
> > 2) Encasing my husband's work shop (it's a 40' shipping
> container)
> > using slip forms
> >
> > 3) Build a new aviary and greenhouse
> >
> > 4) Build an extra bedroom & new kitchen onto the mobile home
> >
> > 5) Encase the whole MH with the mix, using the Larsen-truss
> system
> > (Thank you Charmaine!!) and slip-form with rock facing
> >
> > 6) Build raised beds using slip form & rock facing
> >
> >
> >
> > There's SO much more I want to do..but all of it has to wait
until
> it cools
> > off!! This area has really been lucky this year..the temps
haven't
> gone
> > over 100 once this year.for the first time since I moved here
from
> West
> > Texas some 20-odd years ago.but it's still too hot for a fat old
> woman to
> > get out in the heat & humidity and work with lime and cement. ;)
> >
>



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/