Wednesday, April 14, 2010

[papercreters] Re: Mixer rehab

After looking at the pictures you posted, it looks like your bottom seam
has cracked open. I don't know what kind of caulk you applied, but I
don't think latex or acrylic would work at all, silicone might but I
would still have doubts about that, and I've never heard of a water
proof Gorilla glue but maybe it is the resin type, but if your caulk was
silicone they are not compatable. In my younger days I use to repair and
refinish bathtubs and shower stalls. I can tell you from trial and error
that Bondo or fiberglass and liquid resin with hardner, would be your
best bet for making a permanent repair, but you will have to get the
area real clean and I hope you didn't use silicone glue because that is
really hard to clean up after.

BTB


--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS
<williams_judith@...> wrote:
>
>
> I've been in the mixer all afternoon. After I got the accumulated
papercrete off I could see that the leaks were caused by the bottom of
the tank separating from the sides. I think it was because the bolts
they put in to attach the tank to the platform were put too close to the
edge. The metal of the tank bottom is actually torn.
>
> I cleaned all the stuff off and ground all around the bottom and up
the sides a couple of inches with a wire brush in a drill. Then I washed
the area with a mixture of water and white vinegar, let it dry and
applied caulk. After the caulk is dry I will go around the seam with
fiberglass tape and gorilla glue. I don't really have much hope that
this will all work to seal the tank but if I can just limp by for a few
more weeks and get the little building done I will be happy.
>
> I really need a new tank.
>
> I'm still working on the solution to the elephant trunk. I think I
will try the inner tube. Thanks for all your suggestions and help.
>
>
> Follow progress on the new project at
http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog
>
> More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith
>
>
>
>
> EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
> Join me
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/