Tuesday, April 13, 2010

[papercreters] lime plaster over papercrete

Among those who really like our papercrete wall is Sushi, one of our cats, who was using it as a scratching post. I was trying to come up with a way of giving the wall a harder shell. I was concerned about coating it with something that would not allow the papercrete to "breathe," and kept thinking about lime, which allows air and moisture in and out.
I couldn't find anyone on-line who, for better or ill, had actually put lime plaster over papercrete. I really have no idea how well it will hold up.
I mixed Type S building lime in water to the consistency of a thick paste, then added sand to the consistency of (sort of gritty) peanut butter.
Very scientific.
I'd read that lime plaster, once mixed, had to set a couple weeks before use. Instructions for this particular lime said it was ready to use immediately when mixed.
I wet the papercrete well, and spread the lime plaster using some old cds as trowels, leaving it rough. It was really a pleasure working with the lime. It has nice, clean smell.
Days later, as the plaster dried, I saw minor cracking in one section on which I'd used less sand in the mix, though even there the lime had adhered well to the papercrete. I went over it with another batch of the sandier stuff.
It's only been a couple weeks, but so far so good. The lime plaster has dried to a hard shell. The sand, which was a deep golden, colored the stark white lime a very pretty sort of beige-coral color, if you can imagine, that darkens slightly when wet. I added three photos to the album "Mike."
I will keep you posted as to it's durability.
Thanks,
Mike

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/