Thursday, June 28, 2012

Re: [papercreters] Re: Best way to pour a 6" x 12" x 52" block?



Dan,
You could minimize the trimming if you make the mold larger at the top - visualize an inverted trapezoid (larger side on top).
Do an experiment with the local material to see what the shrinkage is, and adjust the mold accordingly to get the shape you want.
You may not have too trim much at all.
As a separate topic, I found it to be easier to build walls in place and in one piece. Use sub-flooring (1.5 in thick) for the sides and it
looks pretty good when dry. A surprise is that it isn't too heavy (no sand!), but then I only built 4 feet of wall at a time (15 inches thick).
I clamped the top only, which made taking the form off pretty easy too - the wood has enough rigidity to hold its shape even when form is full.
Glad you're having fun - ummm ... right, that's what it is ... ... yes indeed ... lol
TASHA

On 6/28/2012 07:37A, trendawareness wrote:

  
have found that if I make the molds bigger at the top, then the dried product is much more rectangular.<<  
  Tasha,    Sorry I missed this post in my last reply.  I kept my molds "square" thinking that backfills should help retain the shape.    However, next time I build a mold, I'll definitely build it a bit larger than what I need and then trim the block when an exact dimension is required.    Thanks    Dan      --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Tasha <tashatesla@...> wrote:  
  I have found that if I make the molds bigger at the top, then the dried product is much more rectangular.  How much? Depends on your shrinkage - have to experiment with a couple, but worth the time.  TASHA    On 6/27/2012 08:12A, Daniel Ford wrote:  
Dear Papercrete Group:    I'm working on a project that requires a consistent 6" h x 12" w x 52" l block.  I've assembled the molds and have filled the first one to the top and will backfill the shrinkage in a day or two.  (see attached photos)    My question is whether or not this is the best way to pour a 6" block or should I fill it half way on the first pour?  I need to make 50 of these and the sooner the blocks dry the sooner I can complete the project.    For background, my mix is 1# paper, 1# portland, 1# sand, .05 # Borax.  I live near Cincinnati OH and our summers are hot and humid.    Thanks    Dan        ------------------------------------    Yahoo! Groups Links                
  
      ------------------------------------    Yahoo! Groups Links    <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/    <*> Your email settings:      Individual Email | Traditional    <*> To change settings online go to:      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join      (Yahoo! ID required)    <*> To change settings via email:      papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com       papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com    <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:      papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com    <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/      


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___