Thursday, June 28, 2012

[papercreters] Re: Best way to pour a 6" x 12" x 52" block?



>>it seems you have too much cement...<<


I'm all for using less cement, but I was shooting for an all-purpose mix as I'm pouring molds for two projects.  The large 6" x 12" x 52" blocks are insulation for a DIY heating unit I'm designing.  Not shown in my last pics are smaller molds for my garage insulation project discussed in an earlier post.  

One poster suggested that I use "lots" of cement to guard against termites and I also wanted to ensure the fire retardant properties.   Other materials indicate that 1:2 paper to cement ratios should be used for outdoor and high-wear projects, so I figured 1:1 would be conservative yet adequate for my purposes.

>>looking at your forms if you can roll your mixer over them to load them would be your easier way...<<

I'm a suburbanite and this is a back-yard project.  So I don't have room for a proper tow mixer.  I'm currently using half a plastic barrel as my mixing bowl and a hand-held heavy duty electric mortar mixer.   About 10 liquid gallons is the most I can make in a batch.  Boy is it a lot of work!   

If there's a "medium" sized mixer I could buy or make, I'd sure be interested.

Anyone have insights into my original question?  Should I pour the molds a full 6" deep on the first pour, then backfill the shrinkage, or should I fill the mold in smaller increments?

Thanks

Dan



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___