Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Re: [papercreters] Best way to pour a 6" x 12" x 52" block?



Dan,
No expert here, but it seems you have too much cement, and that's the expensive part.
Several years ago I made a few blocks with 1 cement and 3 paper.
They're sitting behind the workshop, exposed to the elements, and they're still fine.
Have you experimented with different mixes?
My efforts went through a LOT of pours, and finally arrived at 1-3 or even 1-4 as a good compromise of weight and rigidity. (no sand).
Just for laughs, I tested a dried block with a 30-06 and was amazed.
My blocks were 12 inches wide, and penetration was about 5 inches - the paper absorbs energy and distributes to a much wider area.
I stopped my efforts after a few hundred blocks though - didn't have a good application for the blocks.
As I remember, it was a real pain just collecting the paper ... lol
TASHA

On 6/27/2012 08:12A, Daniel Ford wrote:

<*>[Attachment(s) from Daniel Ford included below]    Dear Papercrete Group:    I'm working on a project that requires a consistent 6" h x 12" w x 52" l block.  I've assembled the molds and have filled the first one to the top and will backfill the shrinkage in a day or two.  (see attached photos)    My question is whether or not this is the best way to pour a 6" block or should I fill it half way on the first pour?  I need to make 50 of these and the sooner the blocks dry the sooner I can complete the project.    For background, my mix is 1# paper, 1# portland, 1# sand, .05 # Borax.  I live near Cincinnati OH and our summers are hot and humid.    Thanks    Dan        <*>Attachment(s) from Daniel Ford:    <*> 1 of 1 Photo(s) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/attachments/folder/1603531749/item/list     <*> IMG_1476.jpeg    <*> 1 of 1 File(s) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/attachments/folder/1603531749/item/list     <*> IMG_1465.jpeg    ------------------------------------    Yahoo! Groups Links    <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/    <*> Your email settings:      Individual Email | Traditional    <*> To change settings online go to:      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join      (Yahoo! ID required)    <*> To change settings via email:      papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com       papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com    <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:      papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com    <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/    
  


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___