Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Re: [papercreters] Best way to pour a 6" x 12" x 52" block?



Hey Ken,
I thought you were following me ... lol ... nope, not gonna go there ... I get in enough trouble as it is.
Papercrete is probably not going to work out well in developed countries.
The building codes are usually archaic, and labor is expensive.
If labor is cheap (or free), it'll work if no inspections are required.
Commercially, I determined that money could not be made with it, so contractors won't deal with it.
Bottom line, portland is the main constraint - current around $8 a bag here.

As an interesting side topic, I made a few bales with no cement and no sand - just mix, pour and dry.
Those bales are 15x15x48, incredibly light, and still going strong after several years in the weather.
They get wet, but dry well, and no obvious ill effects.
My dogs enjoy their doghouse made of all-paper,  and it insulates VERY well - they'll escape to there when it's hot.
Hmmm ... starting to ramble ... gotta quit that ...
TASHA


On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Bornofthehorses <bornofthehorses@yahoo.com> wrote:


Tasha are you following me lol As for collecting paper I subscribe to tons of companies for catalogs and just general junk mail my post man hates me. Anyway having used a 30-30 (with 10in stop with 14in blocks)on about the same recipe as Tasha's I have to agree with her. But recipes are a dime a doz. having built 6 buildings so far with PC with 4 types of mixers, looking at your forms if you can roll your mixer over them to load them would be your easier way. Buy the way I am modding a 1hp electric motor in a 55gal drum mixer to a 5.5hp gas powered mower setup, pics are forthwith.
 
Ken
Lead Follow or get the Hell out of the Way
deepdesertsurvival


From: Tasha <tashatesla@gmail.com>
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:50 AM
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Best way to pour a 6" x 12" x 52" block?



Dan,
No expert here, but it seems you have too much cement, and that's the expensive part.
Several years ago I made a few blocks with 1 cement and 3 paper.
They're sitting behind the workshop, exposed to the elements, and they're still fine.
Have you experimented with different mixes?
My efforts went through a LOT of pours, and finally arrived at 1-3 or even 1-4 as a good compromise of weight and rigidity. (no sand).
Just for laughs, I tested a dried block with a 30-06 and was amazed.
My blocks were 12 inches wide, and penetration was about 5 inches - the paper absorbs energy and distributes to a much wider area.
I stopped my efforts after a few hundred blocks though - didn't have a good application for the blocks.
As I remember, it was a real pain just collecting the paper ... lol
TASHA

On 6/27/2012 08:12A, Daniel Ford wrote:
<*>[Attachment(s) from Daniel Ford included below]    Dear Papercrete Group:    I'm working on a project that requires a consistent 6" h x 12" w x 52" l block.  I've assembled the molds and have filled the first one to the top and will backfill the shrinkage in a day or two.  (see attached photos)    My question is whether or not this is the best way to pour a 6" block or should I fill it half way on the first pour?  I need to make 50 of these and the sooner the blocks dry the sooner I can complete the project.    For background, my mix is 1# paper, 1# portland, 1# sand, .05 # Borax.  I live near Cincinnati OH and our summers are hot and humid.    Thanks    Dan        <*>Attachment(s) from Daniel Ford:    <*> 1 of 1 Photo(s) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/attachments/folder/1603531749/item/list     <*> IMG_1476.jpeg    <*> 1 of 1 File(s) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/attachments/folder/1603531749/item/list     <*> IMG_1465.jpeg    ------------------------------------    Yahoo! Groups Links    <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/    <*> Your email settings:      Individual Email | Traditional    <*> To change settings online go to:      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join      (Yahoo! ID required)    <*> To change settings via email:      papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com       papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com    <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:      papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com    <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/    









__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___