Monday, October 12, 2009

Re: [papercreters] Re: papercrete finish



Judith,  that all sounds good except I would add the paint if you could get it. The paint acts as a binder and won't let water in.
We did the out side of our TEEPEE with PC as the canvas had started weathering from the sun. It only lasted two years and then started weathering to the point of having to redo it with the cement, sand and paint it is holding up very well now. It was mixed thin and applied with a paint roller.
We stucco everything with 3 parts sand, 1 part cement the liquid is half water and have paint. It will stick to anything even plastic buckets :)  YOU HAVE LOTS OF SAND : )
We have contacted three painting business in Albuquerque and they save there left over or half cans of paint for us so we never buy any paint for these projects.
P S You are good at a lot of things.  I would never have taken on all that you have on my own.
Remember I have Ron here to start these things and then put me to work : )
Hang in there and get some rest.
 
Doris

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 7:11 PM, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@hotmail.com> wrote:
 

Doris and others, I'm thinking of putting a coat of papercrete over the outside of the building after I get the walls up all the way. The walls will still be sort of wet. I guess the only reason I'm considering this is so it will look better and also to fill in some voids between the blocks. I've done a little "plastering" with papercrete but not in a serious way. If I do this I will use my regular papercrete formula with a little extra perlite and cement. So I'm curious to know what you think.

Sincerely, Judith

Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith




i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: dorisburton03@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 21:51:39 +0000
Subject: [papercreters] Re: papercrete finish

 
Sharron:
We are planning to use cement, sand & paint this makes makes a great stucco. The walls do need to be sealed eventually. We plan to let ours air dry for at least up to one year before we put the finally coat on.
No over hangs on the roof we do run a small parapet that directes the water to run off some down spouts we have installed.
We travel down to 65 miles north east of amarillo to see my husbands family all the time so making a trip up to NM isn't all that bad and we could get your hands really dirty : ) It is a fun material to work with.

Doris

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <tunaturner@...> wrote:
>
> Doris,
>
> What are you planning to seal your papercrete walls with, or do you think you can leave them exposed? Do you have any overhang on the eaves to protect the wall from the elements?
>
> I posted about coming to the gathering at Judiths at the last minute but my hubby was preparing to take a trip he already had planned. He just did not think he could squeeze everything in at that time. I really wanted to make it the seminar. Is there anyone using slip forming in Texas that would mind letting a novice come help one weekend to learn the tricks of the trade?
>
> I would love to be able to bring my hubby and see how papercrete is in the flesh.
>
> Thanks,
> Sharron
>





__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___